Recent content by gdavis62

1. G

Why not a Viega manabloc?

I have had plumbers install them before, and never had an issue. Well-respected builders, who build many homes, advertise that they are using Viega Manabloc, and consider it a positive piece of promotion. But a new plumbing contractor is on board, and he says they are no good and does not...
  2. G

A boiler for the small new vacation house

A modest 3 bed and 2 bath home will be built in a cold climate with a winter design temp of -20 F. As in many houses today, the common spaces are one large flowing series of volumes, and the largest of them is the great room with a big tall vaulted ceiling, averaging 17 feet in height...
  3. G

Room enuf under the stairs?

A small new house will be built over a 4-foot deep crawlspace foundation, and the mechanicals are planned to go in the space under the stairs. By doing that, we can permit a little better room for the boiler and related gear. Proposed unit is a small Lochinvar mod-con wall-hung, and the box...
  4. G

PVC SDR35 versus PVC SCH40

I can tell from reading specs how these two pipe types differ. My question is about usage. The pic shows the plan view of the underslab waste and soil drains in a house being built. The line exits the house at the bottom of the drawing, and heads for the septic tank. The main spine of...
  5. G

How did "street" become fitting name?

No definition needed for "street." I know what one is. But how in the world did the name come about? I've posted the Q on other forums, and struck out.
  6. G

Is this valid?

Forget code for the moment, and examine this, clipped from another site: 4 in. soil pipe offers a more efficient way to dispose of solid material, but the introduction of low-volume toilets and other water-conserving measures, significantly reduces the level (height) of water in the pipe...
  7. G

Basement DWV OK?

Here. I rotated the model so you can see a little better. How is the lav drain, with the re-vent going up and over to the 2" vent coming off the 4" below the toilet, redundant? Is the revent not needed? If the lav just drains to a 2" stack coming out of the 4" sewer line, is that all...
  8. G

Basement DWV OK?

Haven't done this yet, but planning it. The pic shows an "x-ray" view of below-the-walkout-basement-slab drain and waste lines. The 4" main at the R in the pic takes a 90 to run over and pick up a basement bath and laundry washer box. The washer box is at the far L, and the 2" line coming...
  9. G

Underslab DWV

No ejector The sewer lines come through the slab and the mains run under it and out to a septic tank.
  10. G

Underslab DWV

Planning new construction with basement bath and washing machine. Proposed arrangement of trenched-in DWV is attached. Sweeps, combos, and wyes will be used where required, and vent fittings will be rolled up at least to 45. Do I need a backwater valve in the sewer branch that serves all...
  11. G

Please review DVW scheme for basement

The attached plan shows an area of a walkout basement, slab on grade, in which there is a full bathroom and an adjacent washer/dryer closet. As can be seen, all fixtures on this floor drain through the slab to waste lines below. We plan to drain with line sizes as follows. Does this sound OK...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks