Recent content by Diysun

1. Diysun

Plumber sat in Tub After Mortar Bed Install

Thanks Terry! I really appreciate your help. What a great forum! Christian
  2. Diysun

Thanks- I sure hope youre right! I should not the tub is a 3 wall alcove installation with 4 feet which supports it's weight. Perhaps all the fuss about not putting weight in a tub after a mortar bed install is for drop in tubs W/o feet ?
  3. Diysun

Hello all, I had a separate thread in the remodel forum on installing a subfloor (where Jdnashua and others were very helpful), but thought this would be the more appropriate place for my question. So my plumber installed a new Kohler archer acrylic/fiberglass for me on Monday. One red flag...
  4. Diysun

Bathroom subfloor question

Well, I suppose I have one last question about the tub install. The plumber I used had great reviews, and replaced my drain pipes correctly, but this was my first time using him on a tub install. He was leery of doing a mortar bed on a Kohler archer until I insisted, and so my confidence in...
  5. Diysun

Another update. Plumber came today and installed the tub with a bit of my help. I really hope it was installed wel and that the plumber knew what he was doing! Leveling the tub proved to be the biggest issue, as I didn't use SLC on the subfloor. we ended up setting the tub in a mortar bed...
  6. Diysun

Thanks! I'll probably end up doing whatever the wife prefers, but it's good to hear that a 6 footer could work in a small space. I'm attaching a couple pics of the tub in place. Both my gc and older don't think a mortar bed is necessary, but I may have it done just to be sure.
  7. Diysun

Thought I'd give another update (this is almost turning into a general remodel thread!). The new tub (Kohler archer6 ft) came and it's in great shape. Since the bathroom space is a small 6x9, we thought a 6 ft tub would be a perfect alcove installation. I dry fitted the tub, and it fits...
  8. Diysun

Just an update. I decided to return the tub and buy one with a proper integral tile flange. The final straw was noticing that the install document attached to the tub referred to it as a drop-in! Of course the online description and install document referred to it as an alcove with integral...
  9. Diysun

Thanks Jad-nashua, your advice has been very helpful. The tub is ok otherwise (Kohler profile). It's sold as an alcove, but it sure looks like they just added the tile flange to a standard drop in. I bought it since it was an alcove without an apron, and planned to construct my own tiled apron...
  10. Diysun

Thanks all. The subfloor is done! I followed thee Schluter guidelines to a T, so hopefully all will be well. I have a new "problem" with the apron-less Kohler alcove tub I bought. It was advertised as having an integral tile flange, but upon inspection it is just a flimsy looking tile flange...
  11. Diysun

Thanks! I heeded your advice, and that of others, and gutted the rest last night. Smashing the cast iron tub was probably the easiest and most enjoyable part of the whole remodel! I plan on adding additional support to the floor with blocking and sister joists before adding a new subfloor...
  12. Diysun

Hello all, First time poster who is doing a remodel of my bathroom with Schluter kekerdiboards for the tub surround, and marble tiles on the tub area walls and on the floor. I originally never intended to tear up the floor, and thought about simply tiling over tile. Folks changed my mind due...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks