Plumber sat in Tub After Mortar Bed Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Diysun

Reaction score
Hello all,

I had a separate thread in the remodel forum on installing a subfloor (where Jdnashua and others were very helpful), but thought this would be the more appropriate place for my question.

So my plumber installed a new Kohler archer acrylic/fiberglass for me on Monday. One red flag was that he didn't want to do a mortar bed install, but I insisted on one anyways. (He had great reviews and did good work one one prior job for me). We got the tub in position, and it was unlevel, so theortar bed turned out to be helpful. He also shimmed two of the feet - so all four feet are touching the tub floor (I actually had to resign the feet after he left as I noticed they were a bit loose.)

Anyways, after the tub install I went to check on something, came back an hour later to find him kneeling and then standing in the tub to finish some of the rough in. Doh! I know that's a no no following a mortar bed install- don't know why he didn't know the same.

So my question is whether it is necessary to pull the tub and start over (plumbing is all attached and it was nailed in through the flange, but no backerboard or tile yet). I really hope not, but I don't want to have any cracks or problems down the line.

I will say I've since stood and laid in the tub and it seems very sturdy- no flexing, creaking, movement that I can tell. The tub is also level. It is also supported underneath by its feet- two of which are shimmed a fair amount. we also didn't need to use all that much mortar, as there wasn't much gap between the bottom of the tub and subfloor (1-2 inches max).

So what should I do? It seems pretty sturdy and solid now, but will that change in the future? The Kohler instructions provide to install it either via mortar bed or via shims with adhesive. Since we also shimmed the feet can that excuse the mortar bed mistake ?

Thanks all! Anxiously awaiting your replies...

Christian

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I'm not a plumbing expert but I believe it is normal, or desired, to have weight in the tub while the mortar bed sets up. I think some prefer to fill the tub with water to provide this weight.

Diysun

Reaction score
Thanks- I sure hope youre right! I should not the tub is a 3 wall alcove installation with 4 feet which supports it's weight.

Perhaps all the fuss about not putting weight in a tub after a mortar bed install is for drop in tubs W/o feet ?
I'm not a plumbing expert but I believe it is normal, or desired, to have weight in the tub while the mortar bed sets up. I think some prefer to fill the tub with water to provide this weight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks