Gas Line sizing question

Users who are viewing this thread

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I am running an underground poly gas line from my outdoor meter around my house ...into my house to feed a 48" pro style range, a natural gas insert in a masonry chimney and a direct vent wall heater.

Farthest appliance is the insert at approx. 100' from the meter...total btu load for the 3 units is 233k btu's

158k btu for the range, 40k btu for the insert and 35k btu for the wall heater. Range has a 3/4" connection but the manufacturer recommends a 1" feed line.

2 questions

1) If I have sized this properly I need 1 1/4" pipe to supply the btu's needed ?

2) Do I have to run the 1 1/4" directly to each appliance then size it down or can I branch off the 1 1/4" main line as it enters the house and run smaller feeds according to the appliance ? Does that make sense...

Also, the chances of me having all 3 appliances running wide open at once is pretty slim, so what about a 1" line from the meter @ 100'...looks like it will give me 209k btu's....a little shy of what I need but easier to work with.

I am a firm believe that bigger is always better, especially with gas so......

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated..

Reach4

Reaction score
I would talk to the gas company. In some areas, the gas company will provide you with 2 psi gas from the meter. Then you use regulators at the appliances to get you down to 6 inch water column (about 1/4 psi). At 2 PSI, you can get much more gas through a given size pipe.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I had a larger meter installed a few months back and the gas company had mentioned that it was 1/4 psi...after the meter

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I am not a con ed customer so.....I have a call into my local utility..... National grid to find out the operating pressure.

Once I determine the proper pipe size.....my questions still stand .

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a con ed customer so.....I have a call into my local utility..... National grid to find out the operating pressure.

Once I determine the proper pipe size.....my questions still stand .
If the 2 psi is readily available, it makes the answer much different and the piping easier.

I am not practiced at running the pressure drop calculations that you were requesting. I thought 2 psi gas could potentially make the job much easier. https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-sizing-d_826.html has the basic data to let you do the calculations for a 6 inch water column supply.

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my local gas company.....the clueless lady I spoke with told m they have no way to determine the "inlet" or operating pressure after the meter !! She had no idea of pressure drop etc....wasted an hr on hold for nothing !

Reach4

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my local gas company.....the clueless lady I spoke with told m they have no way to determine the "inlet" or operating pressure after the meter !! She had no idea of pressure drop etc....wasted an hr on hold for nothing !
If she knew the answer, that would not have helped you. You already know what you currently have.

https://www.nationalgridus.com/media/pronet/gas-blue-book.pdf page 26 and 27 talk of gas pressures including elevated pressures. It seems it is all on a case-by case basis. Some places offer 2 PSI as a fairly easy option. That is probably not the case with National Grid.

Last edited:

BOB BAZAN

Reaction score
Talked with a local plumber and he told me that I can branch off the 1 1/4" to my appliances and use it as a "main" since it come direct from the meter.