Culligan Estate 2 not working automatically

Users who are viewing this thread

mrk431

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old Culligan Estate 2 water softener. When I do a manual regeneration it seems to work fine. If I do that every day, I get soft water. It does not work automatically. I have not changed any settings. The clock is running and the linkages appear to be OK. I did notice that the lever that is supposed to start a regen does not move as far when tripped by the wheel from the clock as when tripped by hand. Can anyone help?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is yours on the 6 day or on a meter?

any chance of a photo?

If the pins are all out then the unit will not trip into a cycle.

If the meter cable is not all the way in at either the meter dome or the timer assembly it will not count the gallons and trip into a cycle.

mrk431

Reaction score
I think it is on the six day. It has a wheel with six "pins". Every pin trips the recharge lever when I rotate the wheel. I know when we bought it, it was supposed to be a model that measured demand and recharged as necessary. I don't know what the meter dome is. There are no loose cables or connectors, although I suppose I should remove and re-seat all of them in case of corrosion. Picture attached:

DSCN0166.jpg

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is one that has that $%^$^$%^$& aqua sensor to it... there is a way of changing that power head to where that sensor no longer has any part to play in the deal.
It is most likely the reason that it is not doing it on its own and you have to trip it into a cycle.

There has been at least one other person that has made the change over to the more simple unit.
Also when was the lower piston assembly changed out? looks like there is leaking going on under the motor assembly, behind the tray with the white slider.
Drop a pm if you would like.

Last edited:

Maruchan Noodle

Reaction score
I am having problems reinstalling the backwash timer assembly (pounds of salt and backwash time). Are there instructions on getting everything lined up properly and installing it?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am having problems reinstalling the backwash timer assembly (pounds of salt and backwash time). Are there instructions on getting everything lined up properly and installing it?

What are you working on reinstalling?
What did you change?

Maruchan Noodle

Reaction score
See above...backwash timer assembly. 3 white round plastic pieces that nest together. The rod in the middle of them all is where the gear, pounds of salt and regeneration time selector screw into. Need to know the proper way to put this all together. Not changing anything just putting together

Maruchan Noodle

Reaction score
Seems like there is a special way to get the white pieces in with the relays so it doesn't spin around after I screw in the two selector pieces for the return time and pounds of salt

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Seems like there is a special way to get the white pieces in with the relays so it doesn't spin around after I screw in the two selector pieces for the return time and pounds of salt
The white cam on the back side of the timer that runs the micro switches.............. oh that is as mess if that gets out of wack.......some times the best way around that is to find a timer assembly and start over.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
In the manuals that I have seen of Culligan I have yet to see a page with the timer break down.
There is the motor replacement and the micro switches that can be replaced.
There was one timer assembly that I replaced the trip switch on the front for starting a cycle but that was with out a book and having a used one on hand.

The white cam on the back is kind of like the timer wheel for the Fleck 3200 timer assembly in tripping the micro switches. Fleck uses space and pins for the switches where culligan used the cam split in half and then turned so that the switches are tripped.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could be that there is a stripped hole for the screw...

Drop a pm if you would like

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks