Honeywell WiFi Thermostat install help

Users who are viewing this thread

I26

Reaction score
I have an older Honeywell thermostat (approx. 6 yrs. old) that I tried to replace with a new Honeywell RTH8580WF model. My current HVAC system is approx 6 yrs old as well (Lennox Signature Series). The current thermostat has a wire going to G, C, R, W1, W2, O. I was using the Alternate wiring key (heat pump system only) in the manual and the problem is that it says "If your old thermostat had separate Y1, W1 and W2 wires, check wifithermostat.com for help". I don't see anything there for help. Not sure what to do now...

I have a furnace plenum and a heat pump. The plenum has auxiliary heat that kicks on when the heat pump cannot keep up. Can anyone shed some light on where the W1 and W2 wires go?

Thanks.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
W1 will connect to W-O/B, and W2 will connect to W2-E/AUX.

Then You need to setup the system type in the thermostat.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

I26

Reaction score
W1 will connect to W-O/B, and W2 will connect to W2-E/AUX.

Then You need to setup the system type in the thermostat.

Good Luck.

Honeywell tech said to tape off the W1 as it is no longer needed. Have not gotten around to try it out. I am slightly afraid a miss wire will hurt the system.

DonL

Reaction score
Honeywell tech said to tape off the W1 as it is no longer needed. Have not gotten around to try it out. I am slightly afraid a miss wire will hurt the system.

That sounds a bit strange because that would make it use AUX all of the time.

I guess the Honeywell Tech should know, I was just going by the manual.

It should not hurt to leave the wire disconnected, but kind of defeats the purpose of having a heat pump.

Good Luck.

javed

Reaction score
I have an older Thermostat Terminal connections as in the picture. How will I replace it with the newer ones? oldThermostat.jpg

DonL

Reaction score
I have an older Thermostat Terminal connections as in the picture. How will I replace it with the newer ones?View attachment 21069

Look up the model of the Honeywell that you have now.

Then compare notes to the new one.

And it may help to start a new thread, instead of adding to this one.

Good luck.

javed

Reaction score
Can't figure out the black and the two white ones in the old one. How will I start the new thread?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks