Anyone know the proper way to size a water softener?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
So I was getting ready to buy a 48,000 grain capacity water softener when some guy on another forum told me if I want to size it properly for maximum hardness, I'll need a 64,000 grain capacity softener. My problem is that our water company softens water to about 11-12 gpg, and then during the "irrigation season" they dont soften at all, and the water gets to 30 gpg. So i suppose that's a little unusual. We have 3 people in the house, 4 baths (3 full baths) and none of our showers have more than one shower head. We're on city water. All the water softener companies I talked to suggested 48,000 grains. So I dont really know what to do and would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks a ton!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
My uneducated opinion is you could install a softener to handle the normal load, sized per something like Gary's website calculator, but shorten the regeneration time during the irrigation season. Or vice-versa -- install a 64K system and lengthen the regeneration time during the "normal" season. Issues of salt and water efficiency probably would influence the decision, but those are above my pay grade. The pros will no doubt comment on that.

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the tip! You have been immensely helpful to me! I dont even think we use that much water, so Ill probably go with the smaller one.

Reaction score
I'm gonna bump this once and leave it alone. Just wanna make sure I'm getting the right size. I'm also going to call our water company again and talk to them.

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You want to size the unit based on the higher hardness. You should buy a Hach 5B test kit to monitor the hardness level thoughout the year.

Reaction score
You want to size the unit based on the higher hardness. You should buy a Hach 5B test kit to monitor the hardness level thoughout the year.

Thanks for the info!

I *think* the 48K should be ok since there will only be 2 people in the house after this coming here.

Mikey

Reaction score
Had a question, found the answer, can't figure out how to delete the post altogether.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I usually just put deleted. :p

Is there any downside to getting a larger softener? I think a 64000 grain softener would be way too large for just 2 people even when the water is 30 gpg.

Mikey

Reaction score
I tried that and got a snotty message that said my post had to be at least 10 characters. Don't know about a too-big softener other than too-expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks