Switch with GFI

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
This is probably one for Leviton. I have never seen this, have you?

I'd like to have in one strap a GFI with a rocker switch, but no outlet.

I'd like to see the switch be the same size as one of the switches in a tandem decoura switch. The GFI buttons could be below it.

I'll be installing a fan/light in a shower stall and am looking for the easiest and cleanest look. The switch box will have a second strap with three switches on it, for another fan/light/heat rig. The light switch on that one will also control the vanity light.

There is no useful purpose in a receptacle at the door, and the narrow switch which is typical will stand out.

Anyone have a lead?

Again, I expect that it just does not yet exist.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are wire in GFCI devices without any component (i.e., switch or receptacles) and of course, you could always install a GFCI CB in the panel, but then, if it trips, it isn't as convenient (but in a well designed system, it may never trip).

Reaction score
Yes, a blank face gfi exists, but I don't want to put in three straps if I could help it. And I'd as soon not put in a gfi breaker, even though it would be right across the hall in a sub panel. The house dates back to the late '40's and I am dubious of what the wires would do being down stream of a GFI breaker. I imagine all sorts of trouble with that.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If the panel has room (and you can find a GFCI breaker that fits!), being right across the hall may mean a new run wouldn't be too bad.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The Leviton Decora listings show a single rocker switch over a single receptacle with GFCI buttons in the middle. Don't see anything without a receptacle.

Reaction score
What would the GFCI monitorl if there were no outlet?

The fan/light combo in the shower stall, which the manufacturer and my inspector want to have on a gfi.

My inspector is ok with me using the vanity gfi for this, now I just need to get up in the attic and see how the conduit runs.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are lucky, the feed could go to the GFCI receptacle first and then to the switch. If so, all you would have to do is change the wire from the line side to the load side.

Reaction score
If you are lucky, the feed could go to the GFCI receptacle first and then to the switch. If so, all you would have to do is change the wire from the line side to the load side.

I got into the property today. The vanity receptacle and the lights are on two different circuits, the vanity conduit passes nowhere near the light switch.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you don't want to add a GFCI in the box, or at the panel, you could still add one of the blank face ones in an out of the way location, as long as it was still accessible. Never know, you may want to plug in a vacuum or steam mop or something, and having a 'normal' one near the floor somewhere may be a convenient item.

Reaction score
If you don't want to add a GFCI in the box, or at the panel, you could still add one of the blank face ones in an out of the way location, as long as it was still accessible. Never know, you may want to plug in a vacuum or steam mop or something, and having a 'normal' one near the floor somewhere may be a convenient item.

Actually, there is an evil genius in that. The hall is quite long.....without an outlet. What would be SO cool is that I could lift the power from the lights in the bath. Ooohh. I feel some wood coming on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks