no soft water

Users who are viewing this thread

mazatec

Reaction score
I have a whes30 water softener and have been trouble shooting it for a while as the 'softness' has vanished. I know the venturi is working as I disconnected the line from the fitting and there is a suction there, I also blew through the brine tube and bubbles were heard in the brinewell, my water flow indicator is showing the moving 'drops'. Checked the turbine in the outlet tube and it's not locked up. Did all the manual regen. checks and that checked out. My water softener was set at 25 which worked good, reset at 50 and still no soft water, I think it's not regenerating at all as the salt level has stayed the same the past couple of days, could the board be bad? Is there some sensor not activating the water softener automatically, though I can do it manually? Thanks for your help.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like that either the bypass is leaking untreated water or there is a leak in the valve body or the tube into the valve body is in need of replacement.

If the unit is showing water usage and salt is getting used then there is a cross over that is taking place in one of the above items.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may want to check the o ring that seals the distributor from the valve. I have seen then end up in the upper basket which the unit will function properly but no soft water. Or you could have a salt bridge.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fine, I will just leave it to the rest of you and stay away from here.
To many starting to sound alike.

mazatec

Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions, I know it's not the' board'. As I stated before, if I disconnect the brine line to the venturi there is suction at the fitting and I can suck brine up, the discharge water during the brine cycle is fresh not salty tasting.I did a manual regen. and it does go through the cycles, and salt is being used, except no soft water. There's no salt bridge, if the 'o' ring is bad as you suggest would that cause an insufficient draw or no draw of the brine? Thanks for your suggestions.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks all for your suggestions, I know it's not the' board'. As I stated before, if I disconnect the brine line to the venturi there is suction at the fitting and I can suck brine up, the discharge water during the brine cycle is fresh not salty tasting.I did a manual regen. and it does go through the cycles, and salt is being used, except no soft water. There's no salt bridge, if the 'o' ring is bad as you suggest would that cause an insufficient draw or no draw of the brine? Thanks for your suggestions.
If the o ring is bad, the unit will work as it suppose to. The water simply will not pass through the resin.

mazatec

Reaction score
I'm on private well and no chlorine is present, I assume by the 'o'ring you are refering to the large 'o' ring, 3-3/8"x 3-5/8" with the rotor and disc assembly.. There are two smaller o rings under the valve cover. The unit is 2 years old. Thanks.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
The o ring I'm referring to is on the bottom of the valve. Where the distributor tube connects to the valve, there is an o ring to seal the raw water from the treated water. If the o ring is missing or out of place the water enters the resin tank and then passes between the dist tube and valve without going through the resin.

mazatec

Reaction score
ok, I think I follow you and I'll check that o ring. in the whes30 manual it's listed as# 1 on page 24, I would enclose picture but not having luck doing that. Thanks so much for your help.

Attachments

• WHES20&30_1.jpg
    WHES20&30_1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 426

mazatec

Reaction score
Haven't checked that 'o' ring yet but someone suggested turning up the softness to max which I did, to 95, shouldn't the unit be regen. very often. I did a manual regen. and there was a salty taste at the drain line at what stage I forget. It then did an automatic regen. the day after, now it's been 3 days and no regen. , no drop in the salt level. Plan on checking the 'o' ring and the distrib. seal.

Silversaver

Reaction score
You need to make sure the valve is counting down the gallons of water you use. If not there probably will be no regeneration; unless you have calendar override on the valve.

+1

http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FILE2185.PDF

WHES30 is very similar to my old GE Smartwater Profile. It will regenerate on demond or on calendar up to 15 day max.

I thought my old GE water softener isn't working because it isn't generate any soft water... Check if the display will give you water usuage information. If not, that mean the valve isn't counting down the water. The valve could be bad or it needs to reset.

What I did is shut off the main water valve to house and turn on fraucets to drain out the water within the pipes, then turn on the main water valve. Somehow my old GE softener start showing the water usuage and back to normal... too bad I have already order the new water softener...

I'm not the expert but why not give it a try.

Last edited:

mazatec

Reaction score
update....I installed a new board and have the same results. I did a manual electronic check while house water was running, it showed the menu counting gallons, and also the main menu showed running water with the 'water drop' icons, the problem is the unit hasn't done a recharge in ten days. I can do a manual recharge and it goes through the complete cycle but my water isn't still soft. It appears the unit isn't recognizing a 'recharge' is in need. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you know the hardness and size of the unit, you can estimate the days between regens. You may not be exceeding the capacity of the unit and that's why the long runs. Did you ever check the distributor tube oring? Also, if it's hooked up to hot side only, it will take a very long time before it wil regen.

mazatec

Reaction score
I'm back......had the water tested and it came back 1GPG which = hardness, correct? I checked the disrtib. tube o ring and the valve components, all were good. Raised the softness to 45, no regen. in ten days, manually checked the electronics and the unit is counting gallons, it will do a manual regen. but the unit is not somehow recognizing a needed regen. Also, I did replace the electronic board a while back, guess I'll go all through the recommended checks again and see what happens, the unit is almost 2 years old....thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks