LED Lamp for Can light housings

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Last night my wife and I were at a Home Depot and my wife pointed out to me the display they had with an integrated LED "bulb" and trim built to use in 6 inch hi hat housings. Past winter I had bought a Lutron dimmer for use with dimmable CFL's and LED lamps, plus 2 Sylvania dimmable R30 CFL bulbs. I was not impressed at all with the perfomance. These CFL's were on Lutron's list of tested bulbs.
I don't think they would dim down to even 50% before they would flicker and go out completely.

So, last night, even though i was not impressed by this integrated, bulb trim unit, I bought 2 of them to try out. After all, you can return even an abused lawnmower with a siezed up engine to HD as long as you drain out the fluids. ( I never did, but I have seen people actually do this!).
The cans I installed them in are over 30 years old, but they worked out fine. In order to properly install these bulbs, you have to remove the trim and some of the bracketry for the bulb socket, as these units have their own clips to support them in the housing.

I was very pleasantly surprised!:D These bulbs work GREAT! they dim down to about 10% smoothly and they look nice (not as nice as the Juno eyball trim I had). They are as bright as a 60 Watt incandescant bulb as far as I can see by eye. they have a 3 year warranty. They are expensive at 35 bucks each, for sure, but I like! No real heat, even less than a CFL.
And no, I have no stock in Home Depot. I do with Lowes, though.

I don't know what kind of return on investment I'll get with 70 dollars worth of light bulbs for 3 years, and I hope they do not fail before that, although for that kind of money, you can bet I'll save my receipt for them. I bought them cause I think they are real cool (well I do now, after installing them).:cool:

installation info: http://www.*********.com/catalog/pdfImages/ab/ab326d7e-23c8-4378-83bb-db1094eafc05.pdf

sorry about the link being censored, but you can google it

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bob for thanking Don for the working link.

And thank you Ian for pointing that out for me. Tea anyone? Oh, is it too late? Oh my. I can have coffee with my crumpet, mightn't I?

It is difficult Ian to do a thorough job of posting here when I do it from my part time job, where I do an impeccable job at what I do. Well sometimes, to be honest, there is some pecking. Thanks again Don for tidying up.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Give the LED's about 3 years and theyll be a buck a bulb.

Ain't that the freaking truth my friend! Well, maybe 4 to 8 bucks. Still, I feel good about having bought them. I will not feel so good if they fail too soon, like 2 days after the 3 year warranty is over. I am an early adopter most of the time. The light from these lamps is amazing though. an LED lamp with 2700K color. It gives off the same light as an incandescant bulb, at least it looks identical. So far, I do not like the cold bluish light that most LED lighting gives off, but I like these new lamps a lot. Did I already say that?:cool:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The only place I'd trust an LED bulb is in a refrigerator.

Every other one I have owned couldn't cut the mustard and failed prematurely. They just don't like warmth or heat.

Good luck with those then. Especially if you'll be dimming the cr*p out of them.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Every other one I have owned couldn't cut the mustard and failed prematurely. They just don't like warmth or heat.

Good luck with those then. Especially if you'll be dimming the cr*p out of them.

You may be right Ian. I have had no luck with longevity of CFL's in some applications because they do not like being turned on and off many times a day. Some that I use are on for 4 or 5 hours a day and last for 3 or 4 years. Some that I have installed in rooms that get cycled on and off frequently have failed in only a few months. I have not found them to be a money saver for me, but I do enjoy the fact that they run relatively cool and are less of a fire hazard in some applications. That is of course if their electronic ballasts don't flame out.
I have high powered LED flashlights that have lasted for quite a few years with no problems yet.
The lamp units I just bought are marketed and labeled for Home Depot and have a 3 year warranty. They run really cool even compared to CFL's.
Just a little warm. I have an LED desk lamp that has a horrendous super bright light that does get a bit hot. It has only one LED in it.

Time will tell. Like I said, I tend to be an early adopter with many things. I'll keep you posted, and I'll keep the receipt handy too.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score

Use them in the application that they are made for, DA...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

LED's are used now in many new autos for brake, tail and signal lamps as they have been for quite a few years already on big trucks. They are very dependable when operated at the correct voltage and current control. At 115VAC fed to their power supplies, time will tell. I am optimistic on this. With your pessimism, we'd still be using gaslights or even candles here if you were in charge.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And tax fast food.

LEDs in cars are also unreliable. They can't take the heat of a sunny day. They fail prematurely because of that.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Good ones cost big money

LEDs in cars are also unreliable. They can't take the heat of a sunny day. They fail prematurely because of that.

That Depends where they are made.

Good ones cost big money.

They make a lot of heat internally and I doubt the sun has little to do with the Failures.

Only the ones made in England are good. LOL...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That Depends where they are made.

Good ones cost big money.

They make a lot of heat internally and I doubt the sun has little to do with the Failures.

Only the ones made in England are good. LOL...

as a matter of fact, these say made in England, China. there was a note saying "Help, I'm trapped in a fortune cookie factory".

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
British craftsmanship really is something to behold.

It's like getting the best of American craftsmen and asking the people that taught them to do the job instead.

It really is first class.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks