How far from a window can a vent stack be? UPC Code

Users who are viewing this thread

Antonio4791

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here. Hope someone here can answer my question. I am constructing a bathroom within the existing footprint of my home. I am wondering how far from a window a vent stack can be. There is a window nearly directly below where I want to vent. The vent will of course be above the roof, but I need to know how far from the edge of the house it can be. The reason I am concerned is that I have a clay tile roof, which is nearly impossible to walk on. I would like to be install the flashing for the vent by standing on a ladder leaned against the house. But if I get too far away from the roof's edge I cannot do this. Do any codes in California prohibit me from having a vent poke through the roof, say 2-3 feet from the edge of my roof? My city uses California code and doesn't have extra rules.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi all,

I am new here. Hope someone here can answer my question. I am constructing a bathroom within the existing footprint of my home. I am wondering how far from a window a vent stack can be. There is a window nearly directly below where I want to vent. The vent will of course be above the roof, but I need to know how far from the edge of the house it can be. The reason I am concerned is that I have a clay tile roof, which is nearly impossible to walk on. I would like to be install the flashing for the vent by standing on a ladder leaned against the house. But if I get too far away from the roof's edge I cannot do this. Do any codes in California prohibit me from having a vent poke through the roof, say 2-3 feet from the edge of my roof? My city uses California code and doesn't have extra rules.

Someone from your area will probably chime in soon but in most cases you need to be 3' away.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
906.1 Vent shal terminate not less than 6" above the roof nor less than 1 foot from any vertical surface.

I interpret "vertical surface" meaning such surface rising above the roof, not the edge of the roof. Never had the occasion, so I don't know if that interpretation is correct.

906.2 Vent shall terminate.....at least 3 feet above any operable door or window.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks