Recessed light over shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Magicrat

Reaction score
Hello,

I plan on installing a HALO recessed light and shower trim cover over a corner (neo-angle) shower. A few quick questions....

Does the light need to be part of a GCFI protected circuit?

Is it ok to branch from the load side of a GFCI wall outlet to the light?

Thanks

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
recessed shower light

standard caveat: i am not an electrician, however, i have wired two bathrooms with such lights and they have passed inspection. that being said....

Does the light need to be part of a GCFI protected circuit?

my understanding is no, unless the switch controlling the light is reachable from the tub/shower. i don't know what the code definition of reachable is, but an electrician did explain it as greater than the distance that you can reach while being able to touch a wet surface in the shower/tub. this roughly equates to 3 to 5 feet. i'm inclined to think that even if it's outside that range, since it's a switch you're likely to hit while still wet (getting out of the shower), it's probably a good idea to GFCI it anyway.

Is it ok to branch from the load side of a GFCI wall outlet to the light?

yes. however, i would go GFCI (load side) --> switch --> light.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
GFCI protected? Short answer, No, as long as the fixture and trim is listed for the application and properly secured.

You can only use the GFCI required receptacle power for this ONLY if the circuit feeds the bathroom in question and no other bathrooms. If it feeds off to another bathroom receptacle as many do then the answer is NO, you cannot use that power at all.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
my understanding is no, unless the switch controlling the light is reachable from the tub/shower. i don't know what the code definition of reachable is, but an electrician did explain it as greater than the distance that you can reach while being able to touch a wet surface in the shower/tub.

The location of the switch plays no role at all.

GFCI protected or not the switch can be right beside the tub/shower it just can't be within the foot print of the tub/shower

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
If I was all wet and touching anything that had to do with electricity, I wouldn't definitely feel more comfortable with GFI protection regardless if the code requires it or not. Don't forget code is minimum standards.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
If I was all wet and touching anything that had to do with electricity, I wouldn't definitely feel more comfortable with GFI protection regardless if the code requires it or not. Don't forget code is minimum standards.

Exactly, the code is minimum whether electrical or plumbing.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Here is an electrical problem inside a shower.
fuseshower.jpg

Photo by Mike McClogan, Home Inspector

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Did you say that panel was inside a shower? I'm a little confused. Isn't that the main panel?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Yes but it was in the way of where they wanted the shower so he cleverly made a hinged panel to cover it.

It is not code compliant, nor is it safe but when you are trying to save money, who cares?

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
That's pretty scary. I've seen dumb things, but that might pretty much top them all.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score

And if you can answer WHY to any of your statments I will be impressed.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Chris, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking. Can you please clarify your question.

If you're asking why I would want GFI protection, it's because the outlet would shut off if electricity starting flowing through my body.

Magicrat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,

Got it, no GFCI required and I will branch off the existing light circuit in the room.

I also want to install a ventilation fan that will run off the same switch as the recessed light above the shower. The difference is the fan will not be directly above the shower (about 4 feet away). I understand that most fans require GFCI protection if "over a shower or bathtub". Does a fan require GFCI if it is 4 feet away?

Thanks again

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Got it, no GFCI required and I will branch off the existing light circuit in the room.

I also want to install a ventilation fan that will run off the same switch as the recessed light above the shower. The difference is the fan will not be directly above the shower (about 4 feet away). I understand that most fans require GFCI protection if "over a shower or bathtub". Does a fan require GFCI if it is 4 feet away?
Exactly.
And no, 4' away would not be considered over the shower. :D

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Can you elaborate please. I'm still not quite understanding what you are getting at. Just come out and say it, don't be afraid.
I would like to know why you would feel safer.
If I came in out of the rain and was wet should the switch I turn on the light with be GFCI protected?
Would it be safer if the whole house had GFCI protection?

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Actually, yes it would be safer if the whole house had GFCI protection.

Should every light be GCFI protected? Depends on how safe you want to make the house.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
It's surprising that you would know the complicated answer to your light bulb question(50 watt and 100 watt and someone removes the neutral, blah blah blah) and not know the answer to the simple question you just asked.

Are you one of those guys who are really book smart but lack common sense?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
It's surprising that you would know the complicated answer to your light bulb question(50 watt and 100 watt and someone removes the neutral, blah blah blah) and not know the answer to the simple question you just asked.
Gabe, I think it is obvious that that is not the case.

Many folks who just don't know any better think that every electrical device in a home is inherently unsafe. You might just be one of those folks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks