Using instant cement to join PVC and plastic pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would take the pictures that I provided above with you to the supply house to see if they have similar connectors available. No doubt something similar is available.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pvc

Not much. PVC glue is not a "glue". It is basically a solvent that melts the pipes so they become one when it hardens, and it requires a tight fit to do it. It will not glue that segment into the coupling.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Aren't we skirting the issue here? The only connection is the one acceptable by the code and as far as I know, packing tissue paper and some sort of cement is definatly not on the list. A Mission band or Fernco is the only acceptable connection here with the exception of male and female adaptors.

Sprinkler

Reaction score
I finally got the correct fittings / adaptors. Now my only problem is that since the old sewer seems to be plastic, I'm not sure if PVC glue would be ok for joining PVC and plastic? I experimented sticking two broken bits of the plastic together with pvc glue, the joint seems fairly strong, thought I was able to get some glue of the plastic with a screwdriver. Is there some better way to stick pvc and plastic?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The PVC glue and primer is designed to liquify the plastic and when you stick two pieces of it together, after the solvent evaporates, leave the joint welded. Same sort of thing as the glue you may have used to glue together models as a child (well, adults do it too!).

Sprinkler

Reaction score
Do you mean that it is neccessary to use a coat of primer on the plastic before applying the pvc solvent? I would have thought that careful cleaning with water or something like cleaning alcohol would be sufficient? Or maybe alcohol would be unsuitable??
So basically, I take it that it would be ok to join plastic and pvc with the pvc solvent. BTW I haven't a clue what kind of plastic it is. It is a white colour, quite rigid and about the same thickness as pvc, but it's been in the ground for around 50 years or more, so I suppose pvc didn't exist then...

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
There is a coating on the PVC fittings and pipe that the primer removes as well as cleans the joint. Then you use the glue. Some glues only work on certain types of plastic. The types are PVC, SDR, ABS, and CPVC If your unsure of the type of pipe its probably best to use a no-shear coupling, to join the two pipes together. Its also called a shielded coupling.

imagerequest.aspx

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
BTW I haven't a clue what kind of plastic it is. It is a white colour, quite rigid and about the same thickness as pvc, but it's been in the ground for around 50 years or more, so I suppose pvc didn't exist then...

PVC was discovered as early as 1835.

By 1932, the first tubes made from a PVC copolymer were produced. Nearly three years later the first PVC pipes were produced using a roll mill and hydraulic extruder.

From 1936 to 1939 over 400 residences were installed with PVC drinking water and waste pipelines in central Germany. Various test pipelines of PVC were laid in Leipzig, Dresden, Magdeburg, Berlin, Hamburg, Cologne, Heidelberg and Wiesbaden during the period of 1936 to 1941.

It was not until 1950 that the systematic development of extrusion technology began. Prior to this, the manufacture of PVC pipe remained makeshift and the use of PVC pipes did not become widespread.

Sewer History.Org PVC History Page

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would just use the PVC cement. My understanding is that it will fill in any gaps. The cement contains PVC resin and solvent. When the solvent dries, the PVC resin will fill the gaps with PVC. The only issue is whether it will "weld" the two pieces properly if the other "plastic" is not PVC. But I would try that route, since you obviously can't get a Fernco in Spain.

Sprinkler

Reaction score
Yea, I agree ...PVC glue, with good prior cleaning/ primer etc seems to be the best option in the circumstances.
Thanks for all the help.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
That was getting a little drastic with the tissue paper and mortar, throwing salt over the left shoulder only after waving your hand over your head two times clockwise, three times counter cockwise...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess the numerous explanations of how PVC "glue" isn't glue at all hasn't sunk in, and you are bent on using it to stick these pipes together. Yes, it will probably appear to have made the connections, but unless both pieces are PVC and unless the pipe and fittings are PVC of the proper size, the joint will fail.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I guess the numerous explanations of how PVC "glue" isn't glue at all hasn't sunk in, and you are bent on using it to stick these pipes together. Yes, it will probably appear to have made the connections, but unless both pieces are PVC and unless the pipe and fittings are PVC of the proper size, the joint will fail.

Yup, We are just....

deadhorse.gif

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
How are you guys going to make it when the economy completely collapses and you can't do everything the exact, perfect way? He's in a place that apparently doesn't have the "perfect" solution to his problem, so he needs to ad-lib a bit.

The solvent in the PVC cement is strong and can dissolve many kinds of plastic. But if that doesn't work, he can use an epoxy to glue the two pieces together and fill the gaps. He can also clamp a piece of rubber over the glued joint for added support.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How are you guys going to make it when the economy completely collapses and you can't do everything the exact, perfect way?

It's pretty easy!

All we have to do is kick back and wait for about 1/2 the population to die off from diseases caused by the substandard plumbing. Should be plenty of assets for the rest of us survivors to divy up. Life should be good! At least the survivors will be the ones that know the value of good plumbing...

plumbersprotectthehealthofournation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Close enough is not good enough for plumbing. The joint formed by the proper use of primer and glue, between pvc pipe and fitting is a solvent weld. When the joint is dry, it is for all intents and purposes, one solid piece of pipe.

I find it hard to believe that it's impossible to get a Fernco or a mission band coupling in Spain. If you can't find it locally, buy one on line. This has become one of the dumbest threads ever.

theplumber

Reaction score
Nohub is a plumbers best friend. You are over engineering this. I don't know about your neck of the woods but we don't use pvc on drains where I come from. Also, I've never seen a white plasic pipe of any type on wastelines from toilets here in CA. PVC gets used in condensate drains for A/C commonly but not waste water from toilets.

Listen to the nohub suggestions. They are spot on. Wholesale houses don't stock every type of nohub connectors. They just stock the most common ones. But in their catalogs, there is always a listing to connect any combination of sizes. Why aren't you trying to do this with ABS? I'm baffled as to why you are trying to use PVC.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Haven't you been following the thread?

The guy lives in some undeveloped part of Spain.
By the time he's done, he'll be on their plumbing advisory committee. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks