Shower leak problem

Users who are viewing this thread

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I'm having a challenging intermittent leak from a second floor bathroom at my rental. Nothing leaks when hot or cold water runs either from the tub spout or the shower head, but sometimes when people take a shower a few tablespoons of water leak to the powder room below. This leak has also occurred when the young kids were taking a bath. There is no leak when the toilet is flushed, and the floor to tub and wall have been caulked. I haven't been able to diagnose the problem, so I'm hoping the experts here have run across a similar situation and can offer solutions.

IMG_20240430_133104.jpg
IMG_20240430_133111.jpg
IMG_20240430_133157.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kids taking baths? Perhaps the overflow seal between the back of the tub and the overflow tube? Pretty common for those gaskets to be misaligned, dry and crumbly.

KineticoUser

Reaction score
I believe the problem was the bolt holding the overflow in place. It was 2" long and couldn't be tightened down very tight without slipping. I switched to a 2-1/2" bolt and am able to snug it up. I did replace the gasket, though the old one wasn't cracked or broken.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hopefully the simple fix solves the issue. I often smear some silicone on the inside of those gaskets where the gasket meets the overflow and the tub. Not the faces of the gasket, but on the edges when its installed. It prevents it from becoming permanently attached and unreplaceable but just enough sealant so any misalignment doesn't become an issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks