Second septic line tie-in for master bedroom addition

Users who are viewing this thread

Jkegarch

Reaction score
I have a question about plumbing a master bed/bath addition to an existing septic system in the rear of the house.

The bathroom will be located approximatedly 20' away from the house sewer line that exits through the foundation. To connect the new bathroom, the horizontal waste line will need to run in front of a window in the finished part of the basement and is something we would like to avoid.

Is it possible (legal) to run a second santiary line from the basement (closer to the addition) and connect to the existing sewer line between the house and the septic tank? I'm thinking that this setup could also apply to a sanitary connection from a separate builing like a garage or a pool house. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. An alternative is to run a second line all of the way to the septic tank.

Jkegarch

Reaction score
Yes. An alternative is to run a second line all of the way to the septic tank.
I considered that also but was concerned about coring a second inlet into the tank. Connecting to the existing line also reduces the amount of trenching require.
The reason fo my question is that I've never seen two sanitary lines running from a single building and wanted to make sure that there was not any code restriction against it. Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
My house has more than one line through the basement wall to the septic, although I am not sure that there is more than one inlet to the septic tank. I'll ask my pumper guy next time.

I have a friend with city sewer. When his plumber put in the overhead sewers, they added an outside path to a wye in the yard to avoid having a sewer line to run across the length of the basement. They did a really nice job of minimizing impact.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most septic tanks have 3 inlets. One on each side and on the inlet end. The main reason for the three inlets is so the tank can be turned in any direction and have an inlet on the house side. There is a little web of concrete left that has to be knocked out or a rubber gasket that has to be cut out.