No cold water in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

nzstorm

Reaction score
For somereason no cold water is going into the shower head, only hot. I have one of those shower heads that have the control nob about 3' from the floor and it is a round dial that turns from cold to hot.
The sink faucet pumps both cold and water. This a newer home (built in 2001) and this just started happening the last few weeks.

Thanks for you help.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like you have a shower valve which has what is called a pressure balancing spool in it, and the spool is stuck in one position. You need to turn off the main water, and disassemble. It possibly can be cleaned up and then lubricated with some Plumbers' Grease; or sometimes it is just easier to replace the cartridge. You would take the old part with you to a plumbing store for an exact replacement.

nzstorm

Reaction score
I guess I would need to rip out the tiles around the valve in order to replace it.
Also, since I've never done this before, the valve is replaced by soldering correct?
Is there anything I can do to fix this without tearing the wall out?

Thanks

Attachments

• valve2_b.JPG
    valve2_b.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 25,654

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
moen_flemming3.jpg

What you have there is a Moen Posi-Temp valve.
The little clip with the ear, will slide upwards and out. That is the "keeper" for the cartridge.

Then you can pull the cartridge out for repair or replacement.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Yours would be a difficult , but not impossible , replacement of the entire valve. However, Terry posted his usual excellent picture, and the PosiTemp valve is very much repairable by just removing the cartridge as he described. Inside that cartridge you will see that sliding spool I mentioned, and you can get a cartridge repair kit or a complete new cartridge.

nzstorm

Reaction score
Thank you both for the help. I got a "Moen Puller" tool and I replaced the valve (just the inside part). It worked and now we have both cold and warm.

Thanks again.

a_goodfella

Reaction score
similar issue

I just moved into an older home I purchased last week. It was restored from a fire (part of my business, also) and there were several nice upgrades, including the Moen faucets.

I was getting no HOT water to the upstairs shower. Considering that the place was redone by folks wha have been known to do things ...lemme say... not the way you'd always expect ... I started searching for the cause, thinking that someone put a shutoff for the hot water (only) for the shower (only) somewhere.

After all ..these were BRAND NEW parts, and COULDN'T be malfunctioning.

My DSL line became active yesterday.

Yours was the 2nd site I looked at for info regarding this... ummm... phenomena .

I came to find out that it was, in fact, a sticking balancing spool. A light coat of petroleum jelly, and viola , life is good again.

Thank You for the Posts, both the question and the info regarding its solution.
after a nice hot shower, I'm off to install a grarage door opener, and to finish the seams in a drywall job.

by the way...what do YOU guys do with all the spare parts left over after you fix something :rolleyes: ....lol... just kidding.

Thanks again.

Richie K.

kathiefreeman

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I need a little help. I have the same problem with the same kind of Positemp valve. I got the retainer clip out but I can't get the old cartridge out. I've tried WD-40 and 3-in-1 penetrant. I've tapped and pried and hammered and it just won't budge. Any ideas?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks