Hydrogen Peroxide shocking???

Users who are viewing this thread

wiljon

Reaction score
Hey guy, have been doing hours for reading and have a few questions. We all know how corrosive chlorine is, and also harmful to media beds, ex. Why can't you use hydrogen peroxide to shock treat a well and household plumbing? Is it as potentially corrosive/harmful? If it would work, how much would it take per 100gal of water. "They" say that HP is more effecient than chlorine at killing bacteria without the odor. Any comments or concerns would be very helpful. I guess you should know that the issue I have is SRB and IRB in new 30" 60' deep well.

thanks guys

Waterwelldude

Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer
Reaction score
Grades of Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is available in various strengths and grades.

A) 3.5% Pharmaceutical Grade: This is the grade sold at your local ********* or supermarket. This product is not recommended for internal use. It contains an assortment of stabilizers which shouldn't be ingested. Various stabilizers include: acetanilide, phenol, sodium stanate and tertrasodium phosphate.

B) 6% Beautician Grade: This is used in beauty shops to color hair and is not recommended for internal use.

C) 30% Reagent Grade: This is used for various scientific experimentation and also contains stabilizers. It is also not for internal use.

D) 30% to 32% Electronic Grade: This is used to clean electronic parts and not for internal use.

E) 35% Technical Grade: This is a more concentrated product than the Reagent Grade and differs slightly in that phosphorus is added to help neutralize any chlorine from the water used to dilute it.

F) 35% Food Grade: This is used in the production of foods like cheese, eggs, and whey-containing products. It is also sprayed on the foil lining of aseptic packages containing fruit juices and milk products. THIS IS THE ONLY GRADE RECOMMENDED FOR INTERNAL USE. It is available in pints, quarts, gallons or even drums. Various suppliers are mentioned later in this article.

G) 90%: This is used as an oxygen source for rocket fuel.

I don't think I would use it it my well.
I think using it for cuts, is about as far as I am going to go.

Travis

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I agree and it is much more expensive and harder to find and much more dangerous than bleach.

And you are supposed to run off the chlorine before using the water so there shouldn't be an odor, and if there is, run more water.

When shocking a well you should bypass all water treatment equipment except a UV light. Then sanitize softeners etc. separately before you run off the chlorine.

wiljon

Reaction score
The volume of water in my well is another concern. Well is 60' deep, 30" casing, static water level is 20'. So that is 40' of water. How many gallons? Also, well produces 40 gpm + and only have 10 gpm pump so it would take long time to get out chlorine. My understanding is that it is not nesecary to pump out all the hydrogen peroxide. Any more comments are helpful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks