Shower Construction Terminology: Pookey - Understanding what it is and how to use it

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I guess I'm not educated enough to understand all the terminology out there in today's shower building industry.

Does anyone know what "Pookey" is?

I read today a little dap of the stuff called "Pookey" can make a shower 120% waterproof if used in the corners. This stuff sounds awesome! What is it?

I did a goggle search for "Pookey" and found this out...

The Urban Dictionary defines Pookey as "a name for your sweet lover". I'm pretty sure my wife will not want to be dapped into the corners of my shower builds. That can not be it. So I kept searching....

I found this also on the Urban Dictionary: A mythical creature that likes to snuggle and forage for berries. Is prone to temper tantrums to get what they want. I'm thinking tracking down a mythical creature is pretty hard. So what is it?

One of the John Bridge members posted another term for it as post number three "a slag used in the Tile industry and on the John Bridge Tile Forum for thinset mortar or another adhesive used to set tile."

I was surprised to find the answer so easy.... Got to love google. But how can a dap of thin-set make a shower 120% waterproof? Odd.

What am I missing here? The fellow who posted the info has made over 71,000 posts online and appears to be promoting some new materials. What does he know about thin-set that we don't. I did a search on John Bridge's forum and found over 490 references to "Pookey" Here are a few references I found amusing....

"You forgetting that one of our major sponsors makes lots of modified pookey?"

"Is Kerdi Coll, an apparently proprietary pookey I'd never heard of before this day."

"...Tyler, the Kerdi Fix is good pookey, no question about that,..."

"...I'd want the stickiest pookey I could make or buy to stick anything to plywood. ..."

"A good grade of un-modified thin set is the proper pookey if you care about the warranty"

"Don't see any old pookey onna back of his dish, neither, but that could be my eyes, eh?"

So it seems Pookey can be thin-set or Kerdi Fix. It can be old. It can be sticky. In some cultures pookey can be a Vagina or ***** even. What a strange word to use for shower building terminology.

Video Search for "Pookey Shower" resulted this video.....

[video=youtube_share;dT3rc7wZLB4]http://youtu.be/dT3rc7wZLB4[/video]

I'm totally confused over this "pookey" reference but I'd guess a little dap of Pookey is not making any shower waterproof. Sometimes Pookey is Black!

"I sure wouldn't recommend you do anything with the black pookey except remove all that you can of it. If most of it comes out, you can likely just mud you a pre-slope at the bottom of you slab depression and install a proper membrane pan or Kerdi." - Source

Last edited:

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
120% waterproof poo key ......

A dap of.....

Entire shower .....

Oh John , pookey , so funny. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Justadrip

Reaction score
When I drop some pooky where it ain't supposed to be, pooky becomes poop.
"Get me a sponge-ely, I got poop on the tile!"

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
Soon we will have a defense engineers opinion on this terminology, in the meantime John can you think twice about your color of choice for highlighting text . Orange just doesnt work.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I love Pookey

No orange highlights - got it.

So Roberto you are thinking Kerdi Coll and Ardex 8+9 are the waterproof Pookey options? I wonder if people know what CX means then when he just uses Pookey as a general term. Seems pretty misleading. I wonder why Jim has never called him out for advertising this kind of info.

I have been up all night reading ever copy of Schluter's install manuals, Mapei's manuals, Ardex's manuals and could not find one reference to Pookie. Man - now that Jim's on to this "News Scoop" I'm sure he will point point out the flaw in CX's posts. Or will he?

i_love_pookie_bumper_sticker.jpg

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Waterproofing your shower with Pookey - How To

Justadrip I do not understand that. Does cemeeementing a bowderskull make it waterproof? Do I need Pookey for this?

What is a bowderskull?

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How "Pookey" got defined on the Urban Dictionary

Pookey. What a great term for thin-set. or is it for Kerdi Fix. Still not completely sure but at least one of the real tile pros on the JB forum helped out with the research end. Brian was the one who uploaded the term to Urban Dictionary.

Now if only we could get a clearer reference to how to use pokey to make showers 120% waterproof. Maybe I'll email Durock and ask them. Perhaps they know the answer.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pookie Warning: Air-dry latex based mastic pookie might be inappropriate

"The premise that an air-dry latex based mastic pookie is inappropriate for showers needs some revision - it could very well be just as suitable as the favorite liquid membrane (from a water-compatibility viewpoint)."

- quote by K Detroit Metro area Michigan

So the more I research Pookie the more I am learning about it's use in showers. RipRap tells us that air-dry latex based mastic pookie is inappropriate for showers! Or did he? Maybe he is saying that a Mastic Pookie is OK. Oh man - I need more info on Pookie....

Who knew there was so much to learn about Pookie? Hope this helps you out.

Pookie Facts from St. Paul, Minnesota

"....Poorer substrates need more pookie..." - Eric

Last edited:

Justadrip

Reaction score
A bowderskull is a CX term he throws around every once in a while. Like ceement, it must be a Texas thing.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Self Curing pokey - 120% Waterproof Pookey

Roberto, what is the proper spelling? Your video is for the Hookey Pookey - not the tile waterproofing (120%) version.... Come on - get it straight man!!! lol

I've found it spelled many ways.

Pookey.

Pookie.

Pokey.

And it appears to be either a sticky version. A self drying version or perhaps Kerdi Fix. Try as I might I can find any manufactures of the stuff.

Does Schluter private label Pookey. Does Laticrete have a new Pookie 258 maybe?

Why does Jim not tell us the answer? HE should know the answer - he is always on the John Bridge forum.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything to try to discredit someone or something, just leave it to John as if everything he has posted was perfect, lead to a reliable, warranted install. Using a slang term is easily understood by the people that frequent that site. Many things, taken out of context, can easily be misunderstood. Making fun of them here just shows how much you dislike the people there and why they banned you from the site. Yes, I know you say that you quit, but the moderators say you were banned. Regardless, should you want to go back, you are not welcomed there, and to me, that is being banned. Partly for some of the BS, like this thread, you continue to produce.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
120% Waterproof Corners - Just add Pookey

Jim I read a little Pookie in the corner makes them 120% waterproof. Here is the complete quote

"Mark, there are pre-formed corners available and I did use one of'em in my shower. But they're thicker than the membrane and fuzzier and........different. The membrane itself is so thin and so easy to fold and crease that I would prefer to fold my own corners with this product. If you want a little extra protection in your corners, a little dab of pookey will make it about 100 percent waterproof.

I missed your question earlier, Brad, but I think it's covered in my report on the stuff. It just has an easier hand to it and folds and creases more easily than competing sheet membranes I've used and seems to bed into the mortar more easily.

I've certainly got nothing at all against the orange product you favor and I've used it successfully a number of times, I just find this new one easier to use."

I bolded the Pookey Parts. I guess you missed this post Jim..... Here is the Source. If your right and I'm wrong then does this make Durucks Shower system better than Kerdi? Better than Hydro Ban. I think those products are only 120% waterproof.

If a product is 120% waterproof then does it actually repel water or spit out a little water some how under force? LOL

How did I miss read that? If in fact the post above is wrong - which we both know it is....... why did you not tell CX he was wrong? Why did you not tell him that is not what is printed in the manufactures spec sheet?

Oh wait. I remember - Because your afraid to do that on JB's forum. Only here where you pretend to build showers.

I bet all the talk about Pookie is confusing for many. In time I'm sure thousands of people will goggle "Pookie" and find Terry's forum. Good for Terry. And a little inside joke for me. Win Win.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Pookey in the Basement - Oh No! When Pookey was invented

I tried to find out when Pookey was invented today. I found this old reference to it from 2003 on the John Bridge Forum. That is the oldest record I can find. Looks like Pookey might also be self levelling concrete.

Read this

"....Maybe some true confessions would be good for yourown soul, eh? Like the times you tried to level the third floor and found all your pookey inna basement or something...."

Jim how would you use self levelling concrete with Durock Shower Membrane in the Corners to make them 120% waterproof?

Jim I thought you kept this kind of crazy talk in the "Deep End" at the John Bridge Forum? Why are recommendations outside of the manufactures spec's being allowed in the "Shallow End"? Oh right. CX is the real owner I think of the forum...... For those of you not familiar with the term "Shallow End" and "Deep End" as they pertain to tile terms this is what the folks on the John Bridge forum consider (Beginner DIY area of forum) and (Pro hang out area).... The Kiddy talk is for the "Shallow End" - that reference has never sat well with me.

In Vancouver many times DIYers do better jobs than the pros. Most pros are hacks. Most people could not care less. So to group all "No Pros" and send them the toe shallow end is weak.....

...should you want to go back, you are not welcomed there, and to me, that is being banned. Partly for some of the BS, like this thread, you continue to produce.

I wanted to have all my info removed. I tried Jim. Deleted most of my pictures there. It worked out well the ban since my last discussion there was title "How to I permantely Delete My John Bridge Account?"

That is the secret - post a title like that and you get banned..... This is not BS info Jim. We are learning about "Pookey" - I study showers and the other day like I mentioned I found a reference to Pookey making the corners of Durock's shower membrane 120% waterproof. I have never heard this before. So I researched "Pookey".

I found references to Vagina's. *****. Kids Videos. But no waterproofing material.

Since then through my never ending efforts I have learned that "Pookey" (Sometimes spelled "Pookie") can be thin-set, Kerdi-Fix and Self Levelling Concrete...

I hope this info helps people out. I hope no one uses "Pookey" in there shower's corners to make them 120% waterproof. Now Jim why not put on your Big Boy Panties and tell CX that he should not use terms like that in the shallow end. You can't can you? Because you lost your man card a long time ago.....

Sorry Jim - this is for you...

ManCardRevoked%255B1%255D.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is one of those things that you have to be there to understand. ANd, if you were, you would understand. Things taken out of context can be misleading, but John is great at that. This whole thread is totally intended to poke fun at and try to discredit people and the website.

BTW, one of the professional participants on the www.johnbridge.com website just won a national award at the Coverings Convention in Las Vegas for his tile work. The convention runs, I think, through the end of this week and is the main trade show for things tiling in the USA. Just to show that there are good, capable, polite, helpful people that truly understand tiling and how to do it to industry standards and abide by manufacturer's instructions on that site, which is not always the case here. Given John's attitude and some of the practices he has shown here, it is not a surprise to me he was banned from there. There are several hundred professional tillers and representatives from some of the major suppliers that are there that also field questions (two that come to mind are from Mapei and Noble Company). So, not only are there professionals that use the stuff and can help, you can get help direct from the manufacturers as well. If you have a tiling question, I strongly suggest you give them a shot. It only costs some time, unlike John, if you call him, wants money.

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I've been on a lot of different forums in my days. The JB site has some of the most helpful, and knowledgeable members I've ever come across. They don't claim to walk on water, or know everything, but absolutely go out of their way to try and help someone out. Its just a bunch of cool guys that build stuff. Life's too short to worry about little bullshit.

FWIW: Down here pookie is the stuff HVAC guys seal duct joints with. LOL

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
I've been on a lot of different forums in my days. The JB site has some of the most helpful, and knowledgeable members I've ever come across. They don't claim to walk on water, or know everything, but absolutely go out of their way to try and help someone out. Its just a bunch of cool guys that build stuff. Life's too short to worry about little bullshit.

FWIW: Down here pookie is the stuff HVAC guys seal duct joints with. LOL

JBF changed a lot -- still remember the detailed technical discussions -- , but for now is more of a whatever mfgs recommend advices with e-books for sale ......And some pookey for waterproofing LOL

Did you buy the e-books Will ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks