Looking for new water treatment system

Users who are viewing this thread

Pologuy9906

Reaction score
Im looking for advice on a new treatment system. I have 3 bathroom, 2 adults and two boys. Ages 14 and 7. Had the water tested. See below.
1. pH 7.8
2. Color 15
3. Manganese 0.14
4. Iron 0.30
5. Hardness 56

I had Culligan and others over. I can do the install with the help of a plumber friend or family member. Any recommendations?

Reach4

Reaction score
"5. Hardness 56"
If that is grains per gallon, you will need a water softer in addition to whatever else. If it is ppm like your iron and manganese numbers, you will not.
I am not a pro. Here is my guess:

Presuming grains, I would think 1 or 2 Big Blue 20x4 inch filters followed by a water softener with a separate brine tank would do it for hardness and iron. That gives cheap maintenance, softens water, removes cloudiness, removes iron (you may or may not need special salt). I don't know about the Mn.

When you install, I would leave space for a backwash tank filter to be added before the Big Blue housings, in case you wanted to go to enhanced filtration later.

Others will have a better idea. Maybe I am putting too much hope on a water softener.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Sounds fairly reasonable.

Minor concerns, flow rate for 3 bathrooms, a slightly "oversized" system compared to capacity will be needed. A softener will remove the remianing small amount of hardness and the iron and manganese. I would clean the resin with a simple resin cleaner every few months if you use a softener for this application. A BB sediment pre-filter would be acceptable for color removal depending on what is making up the color. A dual stage BB filter may be a better idea since you can stage the sediment filters for longer life. I sent you a PM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks