Anyway to clean iron from inside of softener/resin?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshB-NC

Reaction score
Was having a problem with sulfur smell and had slightly hard water. Bought a new Filox system (another thread in this forum) as suggested on here. Also bought a used Culligen silver series softner. Filox seems to be working great, sulfur smell is gone. We do now have a metal smell. I am assuming it is coming from the water softener. When I was installing - I pulled the head off the water softener tank and noticed rust staining inside. Also the previous owner had the clack drip feed hooked up inside brine tank. The resin seems to be working as the water is noticeably softer (ordered a hatch test kit and waiting for it to come in..). Is there anything to clean out the rust (I am assuming it is from iron)? We do not have a iron problem here - it was just 11 grain hard water and the rotten egg odor. And I am thinking the metal smell is from the softener???

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Since you have the control valve off, lean the resin tan over and pour out all the water you can get out without resin. Then mix a 1/2-3/4 cup of Iron Out/Super Iron Out in enough water to dissolve all of it and pour that in the resin tank and fill the tank with fresh water. Install the control valve. Let it sit for a few hours and then add 2 gallons of water to the salt tank, not down through the salt, wait 2 hours and do a manual regeneration.

The only other way is to empty the tank and let it dry out inside and then use a brush on a stick to scrape the rust off the inside of the tank. Do not let the resin dry out, keep it covered with water at all times.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks