Miscut Shower Pan Liner - Can I Patch?

Users who are viewing this thread

tev9999

Reaction score
I was installing the Oatey shower pan liner on my bathroom project tonight and ended up miscutting around an outside corner. I cut too deep and the cut went down into the pan corner beyond where a dam corner would cover.

I patched the corner (with a 2" overlap and X15 adhesive) and walked away for the night to let it set (and out of frustration). Is it safe to use this or should I pitch it and get a new liner?

Also, how important is it to smooth out all the folds in the pan liner? Since it shipped folded they are rather stubborn even after laying it flat for a couple days. Should I use adhesive to smooth it out and make it stay in place?

Plumber111

In the Trades
Reaction score
It can be glued with the X-15 adhesive. Make sure that you water test the pan and put the glued part under water.

I would recommend that you replace the whole pan though. Gonna' be under the tile and is the foundation of your waterproofing.

Make sure to pre-slope.

I've never seen a PVC pan installed by myself or anyone else perfectly smooth.

tev9999

Reaction score
Is there a way to plug the drain without investing $40 in an inflatable 2" test plug I will never use again? I have already sealed the liner to the drain bottom with silicone and tightened the top ring down.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people use a play balloon, but it's a pain blowing it up while in the drain. Give what's left to the kids when you're done, as you'll have most of a bag.

tev9999

Reaction score
I replaced the liner - much more carefully this time. The patch would have been right at some major folding and I didn't want to risk it to save $30.

I thought about the regular balloon, but didn't think it would be able to handle much water pressure. I don't think I can get a mechanical plug far enough down to clear the threads on the drain.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Some people use a play balloon, but it's a pain blowing it up while in the drain. Give what's left to the kids when you're done, as you'll have most of a bag.

A ballon? Really that's your advice Jim.

A proper test plug looks like this

This test plug with extension hose is worth roughly $45.00

or like this

The test plug above costs about $6.00

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Leave it to John to dig up two year old threads to comment on...

But, yes, if you can't or don't want to buy a real test plug, a balloon will work - it's a pain, but it is certainly cheap. Most DIY'ers build one, maybe two showers in their lifetime, and spending money on a tool that may never get used again may not be the best use of funds.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Found this old post researching shower construction. It's amazing how much of your old posts show up everywhere Jim.

You really do post a lot - and lots of them like this info on balloons is simply garbage advice.

I found a fun ballon trick you can try at home Jim. Since you should not use on for a shower flood test you might try this just for fun.

ballononbottle1.jpg

Jim maybe check out the link on your favourite site. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106272 Our buddy Roberto showed some nice examples and all your tile friends. Not one showed a picture of a balloon. I think the person that recommended this in the first place is a John Bridge Moderator. Since then I think the junk advice has been circulated.

God knows how many people you have told.....

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Failed Balloon Test....

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?46161-Pre-slope-and-water-leak-test

On this discussion Jim you say this;

A plumbing supply house would have an inflatable, reusable plug designed for this, but some people just use a rubber balloon. The trick is to blow it up then tie the neck off while standing on your head! A long one makes it easier. It has to extend far enough to block the weep holes.

What do you mean by this? Is that some kind of humour.... Do you really think a ballon can block weepholes....

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
As you know, the plug extends beneath the weep holes, otherwise, it could not make any seal, however you make it. And, yes, you can do it with a long balloon, but blowing it up at the floor level is a pain, but certainly is cheap. Given that there is maybe 3" of water in the pan, that's about 0.1-pound of pressure, and yes, the balloon can withstand that pressure and make a seal, at least on a smooth surface. An inflatable plug is the easier, but more expensive choice. For a DIY'er that may never use one again, a disposable tool makes some sense.

Eurob

master tile and stone installer
Reaction score
Website
www.houzz.com
Hey John . I will not even quote the WTF advice , such a double standard .

A megger -- close to industrial testing -- for heating cables . This one is a real MUST .

A balloon -- close to the worse hack -- for flood testing . This one is really OK .

Did you look what the ''S'' is recommending for flood testing when using their drains ?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
....Did you look what the ''S'' is recommending for flood testing when using their drains ?

I did Roberto. They say to wait at least 24 hours. Longer if it's a little chilly and nothing about a balloons....

Maybe Jim got this advice from Party City here in Vancouver?

fillslost-landing-02.png

MasterOfNone

Reaction score
My first time posting on this site however I've come here,as well to many other sites, to help with my full house renovation. This site has been very helpful in the past. Just wanted to let everyone know that I am 14 hours into a water test with a $2 dollar balloon from cvs! Thanks for the advice.... Saved me a lot of aggrivation since I finished the liner at 10pm last night and couldn't get the test plug to go far enough down to block the weep holes. Not sure if the negativity is justified(perhaps Jim has offered bad advice in the past???) but Jims advice for this particular instance was solid. The best part is I can pour the rest of the mortar today and I don't have to spend 40 dollars on a plug I'll never use again! Thanx Jim!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
You're welcome! The 'pros' here expect everyone to have pro tools, which makes sense if you're in the business...they're more robust, and reusable. Every once in awhile, they'll post something that IMHO is a hack, but because they're 'pros', they think it is perfectly fine. I try to help people make things that work, abide by the industry standards, and call them out when they do not follow those guidelines. As a result, I get a lot of flack.

I know it can work. Thank you for your support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks