Prime floor drain trap from standpipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

mjsmith0

Reaction score
I'm adding a laundry room upstairs, and thought it would be a good idea to add a floor drain. I bought a trap seal primer, but I understand they can be a pain to get working and maintain. I'm considering priming the trap from the washer standpipe, but not sure if this would satisfy code in my area (UPC). What do you all think?

Attachments

• Trap_primer..jpg
    Trap_primer..jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 22,000

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm thinking not, the washer is supposed to have a standpipe high enogh for suds control.
If too much water went down the pipe to the floor drain, you may wind up with suds on the floor.

If you had a 1/2" tube and not a 1-1/2" pipe, it might fly.

They do make 2" couplings with a 1/2" copper compression fitting for a connection to copper.

Love the drawing though.

mjsmith0

Reaction score
Thank Terry,
I didn't think about the suds and totally makes sense. I think these are the fittings you are talking about.
Another idea I had is to use the shower drain that is about 4 feet away to prime the floor drain. Should be a lot less suds anyway.

Attachments

• fitting..jpg
    fitting..jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,489

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you have a laundry tray near by you can prime it off the drain tailpiece with a 1/2 in line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You CANNOT connect another drain to the floor drain to keep the trap sealed. Doing so creates an "alternate" drain path in case the washer, or shower drain gets clogged. When that happened the water would flow through the "bypass" into the floor drain and down the pipe, and you would NEVER know it until the floor drain ALSO got plugged, and at that time your room would be flooded. (It is the same reason vents cannot be interconnected until they rise 6" above the overflow level of the fixture, OR 42" above the floor whichever is HIGHER.) Those fittings are fed by a "fresh water" source, from any of several possible means.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks