Proper connection to sink wall drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

mc510

Reaction score
I've got a 1 1/2" wall drain in my bathroom that has male threads flush with the wall and then about 1/2" of pipe extending out beyond it. Currently, there's a slip-joint waste arm coming from the wall, but the 1 1/2" nut at the wall doesn't seem like it's doing anything ... there's no washer or anything, and the nut slips entirely over the 1/2" protrusion so that there's really nothing holding the waste arm in place or sealing up the connection. I've tried putting various kinds of washers in there, but the nut can't reach over the washer and over the 1/2" protrusion and catch the threads. How is this supposed to be connected?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need a "slip joint" washer behind the nut.

slip-joint-nut-washer.jpg

Last edited:

mc510

Reaction score
Terry, can you give me a picture of the sort of washer that I need? I've tried everything that my local hardware store has to no avail. Either the washer slides entirely over the 1/2" protuding pipe (thus providing no seal against the waste arm), or it stays on the waste arm and doesn't slide over the protrusion, in which case the nut is unable to reach the threads.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can you post a picture of what you have, and then I can tell you what sizes you have.

The pipe from the wall can be 1-1/4" if it's old.
Most new plastic pipe has been 1-1/2"

mc510

Reaction score
Here's an illustration of what I've got ... what's causing me a problem is the 1/2" of drain pipe that protrudes out from the wall past the male threads. If I slide the washer over this protrusion, then I get no seal against the waste arm. If I don't push the washer over this protrusion, then the nut doesn't reach the threads.

(The drain is definitely 1 1/2" diameter; I've already got a new waste arm that fits perfectly ... the only problem I've got is in securing and sealing it at the wall drain.)

Attachments

• P1010229..JPG
    P1010229..JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,031
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There should be NO way to make the connection you show, so we really need a picture. It looks like you have a pipe stub screwed INTO a fitting in the wall, in which case you have to unscrew your "pipe stub" and screw in a brass male Marvel connector/De Sanko/trap adapter, (whichever they call it in your area). Then the trap and slip nut will go together.

trap_adapter_brass.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mc510

Reaction score
Here's a picture, can you tell from it what's going on?

Attachments

• wall drain..jpg
    wall drain..jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 6,621

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Here's a picture, can you tell from it what's going on?

Thats an 1 1/2 in Desanko fitting you have in the wall, you need a 1 1/2 tapered washer if you are hooking up straight 1 1/2 or a 1 1/2x1 1/4 reducing washer if you are hooking up 1 1/4, just slide the nut on your pipe and add the washer with the taper facing the drain and screw it on, just snug it up, there should be plenty of threads for this to work. The washer goes INTO the fitting comming out of the wall

mc510

Reaction score
thanks all -- apologies if it seems that I'm a little dimwitted, but I'm still having difficulty seeing how this works. Does a Desanko typically have an extra bit of unthreaded pipe that extends out beyond the male thread? Shacko, are you talking about a tapered washer like the one jimbo showed in post #5 above? Because I've tried that washer, and my nut won't reach over it and allow me to catch the threads. If it's a different washer style, would you be able to link to a picture so I can find the right one at my hardware store?

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
The part poking out is an 1 1/2" compression sleeve, it will pull out. DeSanko's often use a brass sleeve rather than a poly or rubber slip joint washer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks