Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
137-160.jpg

Mansfield Alto 137-160 toilet review

The Mansfield Alto is a builder grade toilet for many new homes.
Because of that, we see them all the time.
What is our impression of them?
Homeowners ask us to remove more of the Mansfield Alto toilets then any other toilet.

The trapway clogs easily, so plunging is a must, and it's often.
The 2" trapway has two tight bends near the floor.

If you are looking for a trouble free toilet, this isn't it.
Not recommended.

alto_trapway.jpg

An Alto bowl showing the tight bends on the trapway.

Last edited:

Micp879

Reaction score
Im obviously not Terry, but I just thought Id throw my two cents in. I have 3 Mansfield Mavericks in my home, and I absolutely love them. I haven't had a single clog in the 13 months that Ive lived in the house. It has a strong flush, and I haven't noticed any quality control issues. At my old condo, I had 3 Mansfield Claros (the low profile version of the Alto), and those toilets never did impress me. They were just the builder grade junk that was installed when the house was built. The Mavericks, on the other hand, have without a doubt been the best toilets I have ever owned.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I can't complain about them...
They have made me a lot of money unclogging them and replacing them...:D

DIY'sWife

Reaction score
Mansfield Alto 137-160

In the Consumer Reports August 2009 issue they rated the Mansfield Alto a CR Best Buy. I know you have said in the past that it is not a good toilet but have they changed things recently? Do you recommend this toilet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Here is the round bowl version of the Alto by Mansfield.
On it's way to the dump.

alto_angle.jpg

Bowl from the back side, showing the tight bend on the trapway, one reason it clogs so easily.

alto_inside_tank.jpg

Looking side the tank of the Mansfield Alto.

Mansfield. A division of Corona
Organizacion CORONA is a Colombian multinational company with more than 129 years of business history. It consists of eight strategic business units dedicated to the manufacturing and marketing of home improvement and construction products. It has 17 manufacturing plants in Colombia and two in the US, as well as a global supply office in China, a tile and electrical insulator commercialization company in the U.S. and another commercialization company in Mexico.

Last edited:

Jeffro58

Reaction score
Just took ours out

We just removed 3 of these from our house and the entire family was thrilled to be rid of them. It seemed like I had to pull out the plunger at least once a week to unclog one of these things. We ruined a ceiling when one overflowed upstairs and we've ruined wood flooring downstairs for the same reason. It never occurred to me that the problem was because of that twisting channel until you pointed it out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
mansfield_toilet.jpg

A recent Mansfield Alto toilet that was removed.

mansfield-160-ada-02.jpg

This one didn't flush the first time. I had to go back and hold the handle down.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks