Backup Sump Pump system

Users who are viewing this thread

TequilaMB

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner looking for recommendations for installing a backup system for our basement sump pump.

We have a full basement, sump crock with drainage pipes under the foundation empty into the crock. Have a Zoeller M53 sump pump in the crock, lifts about 6-7 feet to outside pipe just below ground level on the low side of the property.

We usually don't have much of a water problem, except in the spring when everything thaws, or in the winter when the weather is very wet, or temps vacillate so that we get a snow-melt-snow-melt cycle going on.

We've had a couple of incidents of flooding in the basement (part of which is a finished bedroom). One involved a power outage in an ice storm. The others have been a matter of sump pump failure (in one case the switch, in another case the pump motor itself).

We have a generator to power the A/C if we're home when the power goes out. But we want to add another level of protection for both power outages when we are not home for a few hours, and for the event of main pump failure.

What are our backup system options for this situation?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I sell and install the Basement Watchdog PHCC Pro series battery back up systems. Here is the link to their website. http://www.proseriespumps.com/backup_sump_pump_2400.htm

Other guys around here like the Aqua-not system Zoeller has acquired them and here is the link to their product. http://www.zoeller.com/Zcopump/Products/backupsystems/aquanot.htm

The last system is the Sump Pro system which uses two batteries and a power inverter, you plug an a/c pump into this unit. Only mistake people make with this system is the opt for just the system and not a second pump. ideally you want to have two pumps in the pit one on the back up system this way if your primary pump burns out, gets unplugged the back up pump will kick in. Their higher end unit accommodates two pumps with an alternator. What that means is when the switch is activated the system will alternate which pump does the pumping. This way they both get use and the chances of one of them freezing up due to lack of use is ruled out. http://www.sumpro.com/

The reason I like the Basement watchdog systems it has multiple alarms that monitor the battery, test runs the back up pump and will sound a alarm if there is trouble and a few other alarms.

TequilaMB

Reaction score
SewerRatz, Thanks for the prompt reply. The Basement Watchdog I've seen - this system includes just the backup pump & switching, not the main pump, is that correct?

The Aqua-not system looks interesting mainly because it's a pedestal unit. Our sump basin is somewhat small, and one of the things we are concerned about is finding room for everything in the existing basin.

Are any of the systems mentioned DIY-able for a pretty handy homeowner with plumbing/electrical experience? What would be a ballpark budget for both DIY-equipment-only and full installation of these systems?

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The basement watchdog system you can buy the non-Pro system at the big box store, They run about $630 for the unit $120 for the battery, and $20 for the acid. They ship their batteries dry. The advantage of this you will get max shelf life out of it. Once the acid and lead are reacting the shelf life of a battery is 5 years. So your looking at spending around $770 on the system plus the pipes fittings and check valves. A DIYer can install any of these systems all come with very clear instructions. I Install the PHCC Pro version that I linked to for $1800 it does come with a better warranty than the ones in the big box stores. The other two systems I can not give you even a ball park figure at what they cost, I think the AuqaNot is a bit more expensive, I know the Sump Pro system is more expensive. The Basement watchdog is the only one that makes a hardware store sold version. The other two are only available online or at the local plumbing supply house.

Bubb1957

Reaction score
Pro series 2200

I have the Pro Series 2200 in my pit for about 2 years now. It has been used several times during power outages, and performed flawlessly. It was around 1300.00 installed, with a 3 year warranty. The newer 2400 series looks even better, with a better looking switch. Piece of mind is priceless.

TequilaMB

Reaction score
I agree with the "peace of mind" thing entirely. Without exception, our pump seems to fail, or our power goes out at the very worst possible time.

I have another question regarding the Watchdog series - is there a minimum basin size for this system?

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I agree with the "peace of mind" thing entirely. Without exception, our pump seems to fail, or our power goes out at the very worst possible time.

I have another question regarding the Watchdog series - is there a minimum basin size for this system?

Not at all the nice thing about the Basement Watchdog system is the pump sits flat on the bottem of the pit next to the primary pump and the switch is attached to the pipe just above the primary pumps turn on level. The hardware store version is the Basement WatchDog Big Dog http://www.basementwatchdog.com/basement_watchdog_bigdog.htm

ct-esq

Reaction score
what is the consequence of being in the bottom of the pit?

why is that "not at all nice"?

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
what is the consequence of being in the bottom of the pit?

why is that "not at all nice"?

I am sorry poor grammar skills on my part. The question presented to me was "is there a minimum basin size for this system?" My response should of read. "Not at all. The nice thing about the Basement Watchdog system is the pump sits flat on the bottom of the pit next to the primary pump, and the switch is attached to the pipe just above the primary pumps turn on level." So in short what I meant to say that there is no minimum diameter for the pit for this pump to work. plus in your quote you left out "the" after the all and before nice.

ct-esq

Reaction score
understood - others have extolled the virtues of pedestal pumps but your clarification makes sense. thanks.

grandeson

Reaction score
hey sewerratz. ron hasil,
I am hoping that you might be able to give me an idea of whats going on. My pro series 2400 back up system is giving me an alarm every week for a month now that the pump is defective, (thats what the light says). There was a ton of rain a few weeks back that maybe gave the pumps (both ac and dc, not sure) a bit of use. Any idea what might be setting it off, or to know if the pump really is defective and needs to be replace? I am pretty handy so might be able to do things on my own. And last but not least, am i able to replace just the pump and not the whole system, considering its the back up pump and not a regular pump, and Ive only seen it sold as a system. I appreciate your time and help, and thanks in advance to all.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
hey sewerratz. ron hasil,
I am hoping that you might be able to give me an idea of whats going on. My pro series 2400 back up system is giving me an alarm every week for a month now that the pump is defective, (thats what the light says). There was a ton of rain a few weeks back that maybe gave the pumps (both ac and dc, not sure) a bit of use. Any idea what might be setting it off, or to know if the pump really is defective and needs to be replace? I am pretty handy so might be able to do things on my own. And last but not least, am i able to replace just the pump and not the whole system, considering its the back up pump and not a regular pump, and Ive only seen it sold as a system. I appreciate your time and help, and thanks in advance to all.

You can just get a new pump through Glentronics. The unit self tests itself and during the test it will run the pump and monitor how much current it is drawing. If it does not sense a draw (pump unplugged or burned out) it will sound an alarm, but if the pump does run and draws more current than it should it will sound an alarm as well. Reasons it can be drawing more current is something is clogging the bottom of the inlet screen of the pump or something might be caught around the impeller. If the screen is clear and nothing is caught in the impeller then it could be a bad bearing or the motor is starting to go bad.

In the many I have installed I had one unit where it was about a year and half old and was giving the same alarm. So I took the unit out and drove to Glentronics and the techs there told me it had a bad bearing and swapped it out for a new pump.

Here is Glentronics support phone # 800-991-0466 between the hours of 9-5 CST, Monday through Friday.

grandeson

Reaction score
Thanks seweratz

i emailed glentronics and they said I have to send them the unit to be serviced. Better than driving from the NYC area! They sent it back fixed and its been fine, thanks for your help. They seem like a real honest customer oriented company, will continue to do business with them in the future for this reason alone. Just wish they had more service people around my area.

Till next time, and thanks again, Grandeson

(sorry for the delay in getting back to you)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks