Vessel bowl basin slow drainage problem

Users who are viewing this thread

JMCC

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just installed a vessel bowl basin in my bathroom and it looks great. However, it doesn't drain adequately. The bowl would actually overflow if I left the water running. I shortened the tail piece to see if it would help and it didn't.

I thought the problem might be the lack of an overflow on the basin, but the sink in the kitchen doesn't have an overflow and yet it drains fine. Nevertheless, would a pro-vent help?

It does have a 19-hole drain with no stopper. Could this be hamplering the flow?

Any and all advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

JMCC

Vessel bowl basin slow drainage problem

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Grid drains are notorious for this. Try drilling out 5 or 6 holes to about 1/4" or 9/32" diam.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You are being air-locked by the bubble between the trap and the strainer. The openings in the strainer are not large enough for the air to escape AND let the water drain down at the same time. It is compounded by the strainer being flat so that there are no pressure differentials created. A domed strainer or larger holes will cure the problem.

JMCC

Reaction score
Well, I replaced the 19-hole grate with a 15-hole one with larger holes. Not good enough. I then drilled out 6 of the holes to .25". Still not enough. I finally drilled out the 6 center holes to .3125" and that did the trick!
Thanks for the advice hj and jimbo.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
vessel drain without overflow

The drain by Mountain Plumbing Products works better with vessel bowls without the overflow.

http://mountainplumbing.com/mt749

Or the Kohler K-7124

Attachments

• mt749.jpg
    mt749.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 27,745
Last edited:

rickparsons

Reaction score
Pop Up Drain in Vessel Sink Drains Slowly

I have a vessel sink that drains slowly. I figured it was the lack of positive pressure. I have a pop up drain with just two small oval openings for water and air to go through. Any recommendations on how to get past this problem on a sink with no overflow? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks