closet flange ring rusted out in concrete slab????

Users who are viewing this thread

jkrause

Reaction score
I'm in the process of having my bathroom remodeled and after the tile demo guys pulled the toilet I noticed the closet flange is totally rusted out beyond repair...... I trip to the H. Depot and a with the plumbing dude.... he reccomend that I cut the top of the old flange off using a inside cutting saw on my drill and slide a larger closet flange over it .. I do it..... well I'll be darned.. the concrete is poured directly around the ABS pipe.... the original flange has a 3" ID ....

Any ideas or help would be greatly appriciated.... :rolleyes:

Can I use a twist n seal type flange???? what are the options here... either way the old flange was messed up....

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
3" is too small for the twist and seal flange (inside the pipe - too much constriction)...
chip out around the pipe (carefully ) and glue another flange on the outside or remove the flange from the inside and replace it...
If you are not sure how to do this, there are instructions elsewhere on this forum on flange repair - search for older threads....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Chipping out enough space to install a new flange will probably not be that difficult. Get a good cold chisel and a 3 pound mallet.

Another possibility is to screw down a repair flange to the concrete. Care must be taken to ensure a seal between that and what is left of the old plastic/steel assembly. If you had a picture , it would help.

Here are two examples. Similar items are available everywhere...box store, hardware store, maybe even club stores.

red_ring_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Your original mistake, if I am reading this properly as to the type of flange you had, was to cut the top off instead of removing the metal ring and using a "wraparound" replacement. Now your only real option is to cut the concrete away, and install a flange that fits on the outside of the pipe, (or hopefully the old flange may have the proper o.d. to glue to the new flange. Not all do.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks