What's in a faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

masterbath

Reaction score
I saw the poll - informative. My question is what is in a faucet and what do I need to look out for? I am remodeling and we have decided to go with wall mounted faucets however our budget doesnt appear to be there for any of them. I checked Kohler and found a 400.00 unit that required a 200.00 valve. Choke. I use **** frequently and found some acceptable ones on there pretty cheap but I am also no fool. I know more than often you end up getting what you pay for. I don't want to buy a peice of poo but I also would have to "cap" one faucet until next years budget hit. One thing I was wondering is do I need the same type valve for the **** item? If that gets me the quality, then I am ok with maybe doing something like that but I am unsure if these things are interchangeble

Here is the Kohler I am looking at for comparison.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...tem=526302&prod_num=T196&section=2&category=8

This has a requirement listed as the valve.

Here is the **** item - apparently that is a naughty word here. i guess you can fill in the url where the * are with the letters e-b-a-y

not sure what is acceptable bid since there are 0.

http://cgi.****.com/New-Concord-Wal...5QQihZ007QQcategoryZ85907QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
kohler is junk

I dont know what the bad name faucet is

that you wont mention......

I know that Kohler is junk and will be troubles down the road

your links went no-where....

Have you considerd just looking into something from

DELTA??? At least you will ahve a fighting chance reapiring
that valve some day

Dan Pick

Reaction score
Rough-in valves are brand specific. I have never installed one of the new in wall lavatory faucets. Let us know how it goes.

Racer814

Reaction score
I did a wall mount lav faucet a couple months ago....can't remember the brand for the life of me...looked great though....more of a pain but hey, it's the customers dime

just pay very careful attention on your rough in...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A NO NAME faucet often translates to NO WARRANTY and NO PARTS. Buyer beware. It was already pointed out that valves are EXTREMELY specific to brand and model. Any attempt to rig in or use "universal" handle adapters will lead to great sorrow.

In general I have a very low opinion of the auction site, but will not belabor that point here.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Leading To Great Sorrow....

jimbo said:
A NO NAME faucet often translates to NO WARRANTY and NO PARTS. Buyer beware. It was already pointed out that valves are EXTREMELY specific to brand and model. Any attempt to rig in or use "universal" handle adapters will lead to great sorrow.

In general I have a very low opinion of the auction site, but will not belabor that point here.

That is a very good qoute......it will lead to great sorrow..

many plumbing materials you will find on that auction site are probaly
hot and stolen from someone like me....

I am sure stuff I owned ended up there once or twice
over the years... just walked out my door....

like 30 toilet supply lines for 5 bucks, ect....

so when you make a deal with the devil
and you get what you get...

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. The production quantity of wall mount faucets is a fraction of the normal ones, so that increases the price of the faucet considerably, due to economies of scale.
2. If you do NOT buy the entire faucet NOW, by next year the trim parts could be discontinued, or changed such that they are not what you wanted or might no longer fit your faucet.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Name the name you see in the auction site description and I'll go looking, web searching.

masterbath, the Kohler one is called "Falling Water". Other Kohlers:
"Stillness" K-952
"Karbon" K-6228
"Fountainhead" Look at both K-2443 and K-2440 so you see that you can make your own shelf/structure. Open all the PDF documents made "for Installers & Designers". You will see it is numbskull simple.

Use the K-NUMBER as a key word when web searching. My writing out these other options is NOT a recommendation to buy these or any other Kohler product. I think that marketeer nephews have taken over Kohler, so they are good at some kinds of innovation, but not good at many other things. Thank you for choosing the BOLD look of KOHLER is what they write in every email answering my questions. Their web site has lots of images of beautiful humans that remind me of what the successful offspring of genetic experiments must look like.

T&S Brass and Chicago Faucet make good wall mounts; their look is industrial.
Grohe has wall mounts in their industrial division.
Many others do too.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
The kohler falling water faucet is a fine faucet. Don't go cheap with anything that is installed in the walls, you will regret it later.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; T&S Brass and Chicago Faucet make good wall mounts;

So does Fisher, but these are "outside the wall" faucets, NOT the ones that go inside the wall similar to a tub/shower valve which is what this person was inquiring about.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks