ZWave Outlet to Turn Water Pump On and Off

Users who are viewing this thread

hypnosis4u2nv

Reaction score
I have what looks like a regular light switch that controls the power to my well pump. Not sure if that is even proper or acceptable as my home inspector never said anything when I bought the house.

My question, and what I am trying to accomplish, can I put a simple Zwave type switch on it so in I can tie it into my home automation? I have 3 flood sensors around the house and would like to set up a rule when the flood sensor trips, it shuts power off to the pump which stops the flow of water into the house to prevent flood damage.

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why not install a valve after the storage tank to shut off the water. If you turn off the pump, the tank will have to drain all the pressure, and water, at the leak point.

hypnosis4u2nv

Reaction score
I actually have a solenoid valve already doing that, but its after my water treatment equipment. I also have a sand separator installed before the pressure tank that has a purge valve. Yes, I know it should go after the pressure tank, but space is limited and I wanted to limit pipe runs to everything.

The shut off for the pump will be added insurance in case I get leak from the incoming line to the solenoid valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pay particular attention to the current capacity of the switch.

Is the pump 240vac or 120? A 120vac one will likely draw quite a bit more current. Your selection of ZWave stuff for 240vac is more limited than 120vac stuff.

FWIW, you can find what looks like a plain light switch that is dpst with fairly high current capacity, but it's switching both hot leads, not just one. Could be used for 240vac circuits, or two 120vac branches.

hypnosis4u2nv

Reaction score
Pay particular attention to the current capacity of the switch.

Is the pump 240vac or 120? A 120vac one will likely draw quite a bit more current. Your selection of ZWave stuff for 240vac is more limited than 120vac stuff.

FWIW, you can find what looks like a plain light switch that is dpst with fairly high current capacity, but it's switching both hot leads, not just one. Could be used for 240vac circuits, or two 120vac branches.

The pump is indeed 240v. I'd have to open the switch cover and see if there's two hot leads, which I would assume there to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks