Zurn PEX Fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Scup

Reaction score
Somewhere, probably in a box store, I purchased a bunch of Zurn Pex fittings including elbows and adapters. I went to the Pex system since I have had very few problems over the years with my copper piping after my PH neutralizer tank, but before the PH tank my copper plumbing had routine leaks. Thinking that the Pex system would resolve my minor acid water worries, I purchased the tools and accessories i.e. those black looking solid copper compression rings and the ring compression tools to do the job and started to replace my front end piping. Now one of the pex fittings is starting to drip.

I am aware there is, or was, some sort of the class action lawsuit in which Zurn Pex claimed to be faultless regarding some of their fittings, but my position is I just wish to go about getting the front end of my piping squared away.

I love the PEX system and wish my whole home had such and intend to remain with it. It is a joy to work with and seems to be almost idiot proof. However, I never thought this system would be subject to leaking so soon. I noted that there are plastic pex elbows, and I even tried one and it worked out well. Probably plastic is not a good idea in a indoor plumbing scheme since plastic is subject to failure if hit with something, but in my case, nobody could easily get under the basement stairs where the tank is even if they wanted to. Not too happy either wondering if some of my fittings could suddenly fail without warning.

My simple question is what fittings (brand) do you guys use with pex piping and would they be compatible with the tools I currently own?

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have been using Uponor for a few years now and have had no issues at all.

I think every PEX system is proprietary and there fore uses its own tools, fittings, pipe, and rings or clamps.

Houptee

Reaction score
You can use stainless pinch clamps which are much easier to use since the pinch tool can get into much tighter locations, or the copper compression rings like you already have with Zurn fittings. With the copper rings you are supposed to use the "go-no-go" feeler gauge tester tool after the crimp is made to make sure you clamped it all the way. Maybe the leaking one you did not clamp the ring fully or you have the rings too close to the end of the tubing? Leave about 1/8" tubing showing past the ring so the ring clamps centered on the barbs of the fitting, and cut your tubing as square as possible. I usually slip the ring exactly where I want it, and then pinch it slightly with a pair pliers just to keep it from sliding or moving when I open the tool up and get it in position for the real crimp.

Scup

Reaction score
I understand everything stated in both replies and have done such. I always used the go, no-go, gauge, and nothing leaked for a couple of years. For cramped quarters, I purchased a palm sized two piece die that you need a socket wrench to apply the compression force to the rings. I am sure a real plumber would not wish to take five minutes just to tighten up two bolts with a socket set or box wrench to make a single connection, as the standard large tool can do the same job in seconds assuming one has the room to swing its larger handles.

However, I do not mind taking five minutes using the die because it can get into extremely tight quarters and when done, the connection does pass the go, no-go test. Understand that I do not do this for a living, so an extra five minutes here and there is no big deal for me for a tough connection to get at. Again, nothing leaked for years and I just got nervous that where I had purchased these fitting, for some reason they no longer seemed to be carrying them. The fitting shows a white looking oxide on the outside, probably from nothing more than sweating during humid summer weather and 50 degree cold well water coming into the fitting. However, I am wondering what my acid water is doing inside the fitting and if the fitting itself could fail without warning. I would not have been worried if I had not found a Web article concerning litigation over this. The article had something to do with too high a zinc content in lieu of copper used in the alloy composition. No one to my knowledge was found to be at fault, so I am not sure if I am worried about one of those silly things which have no merit at all. The leak is so slow that it seems to evaporate shortly after it hits the concrete floor. Still, I wonder about that white looking oxide on the outside of the fitting knowing that condensing water (sweat) is not acidic, but I sure as hell have acidic water on the inside of the fitting.

I did want some comments on my use of PLASTIC pex fittings since the one or two I put on seemed to be holding up perfectly. Here I am concerned that plastic is not as robust as brass and can could fail if somehow somebody hit it accidentally very hard like dropping a shovel on it or something. On the other hand, plastic fittings are immune to acid water. I tried to break a sample PLASTIC right angle connection intentionally and the plastic fitting was a lot tougher than I had thought, but then again, I really do not know if I am doing the right thing by going to plastic pex fittings.
After the PH tank, everything seems to be fine.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Dezincification of the brass fittings. Google it. As far as using plastic fittings...what the hell, everything else is plastic today. The Uphonor stuff gets high praises on this and other forums and offers plastic fittings.

Scup

Reaction score
Thanks jm66208! I just Google it and found the following:

"Common signs that dezincification is occurring include:

Presence of a loosely adhering white deposit of zinc oxide on the exterior of the valve.

Presence of mineral stains on the outer surface of the valve.

Water weeping from the valve body or stem/bonnet seal."

Boy oh boy did you hit the nail on the head! The article was for a brass valve, and not PEX fitting, but you really called this one right. Understand the above is cut and paste and not my words. I was sort of shell shocked when I read the signs of dezincification. Now everything makes sense since the article also stated that dezincification is typically area location specific and then they go on to specify several conditions that can cause it including slightly acidic water. Now it is clear why the fittings before the PH tank had that white zinc oxide powder on it and the ones after the tank looked and acted fine. It also explains the weeping from the fitting as well.

I looked up Uponor (I have never even heard of them) Their plastic PEX fittings are cheaper than the brass so it definitely seems to be a safer and saner route to go. I am sort of slightly pissed off though, at manufacturers that put stuff out there that does not hold up, especially when it seems everyone but me knows about the problem. Now, I am going to have to redo the entire front of my system which is a real pain because it is a very cramped location, and I am now older and fatter and it is going to be a bitch to get in there.

Oh well, that is going to have to wait for spring, as right now we have a massive winter storm hitting us. Ten minutes from now, I will be knocking snow off of a couple of those portable canvas garages I use to store firewood in before they collapse. Thanks again jm66208!

Last edited:

Scup

Reaction score
Reading the link did not exactly make me happy. One would have thought these manufacturers would have tested their products properly before putting them out there for all to use. Now, I have to go through boxes of stuff to glean out brand new bogus brass fittings. Wish I had saved the receipts. The article also stated the plastic fittings are not subject to this sort of failure. That much I had figured out for myself.

Probably what put me off besides the marketing of defected (or questionable products) is that one would normally think that the more costly brass fittings would be the better ones have. Even worse, I also have brass adapters to go from NPT to Pex all over the place so now I have to wonder what is happening to these items as well since it is not clear to me exactly which fitting has or does not have the high zinc content. At least everything is out in the open and one could plainly see the white zinc oxide powder on the surface of the screwed up ones. No wonder the box stores do not carry these fitting anymore.

I am thinking that a lot of this PEX stuff may have been used for radiant heating underneath concrete slabs. What a mess they could be in for!

Last edited:

Brian Wilson

Reaction score
Reading the link did not exactly make me happy. One would have thought these manufacturers would have tested their products properly before putting them out there for all to use. Now, I have to go through boxes of stuff to glean out brand new bogus brass fittings. Wish I had saved the receipts. The article also stated the plastic fittings are not subject to this sort of failure. That much I had figured out for myself.

Probably what put me off besides the marketing of defected (or questionable products) is that one would normally think that the more costly brass fittings would be the better ones have. Even worse, I also have brass adapters to go from NPT to Pex all over the place so now I have to wonder what is happening to these items as well since it is not clear to me exactly which fitting has or does not have the high zinc content. At least everything is out in the open and one could plainly see the white zinc oxide powder on the surface of the screwed up ones. No wonder the box stores do not carry these fitting anymore.

I am thinking that a lot of this PEX stuff may have been used for radiant heating underneath concrete slabs. What a mess they could be in for!

I jus read this and then did some checking around - at least in our area. Just bought the material at Home Depot.. looks good though.

I did find some other material here - although a bit older.

http://simcoemuskokainspections.ca/2013/08/26/zurn-pex-plumbing-settlement/
http://simcoemuskokainspections.ca/2016/01/07/story-kitec-plumbing/
http://simcoemuskokainspections.ca/2014/02/26/pex-water-piping-woes/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks