ZURN commercial backflow leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Corky P

Reaction score
I am a (new) part time maint guy for a small buisness with 25 ladies and 3 men.
We have one toilet that every so often started pushing water out of the back flow vents up under that collar....Iam new too the place and replaced the upper valve with a new Blue Zurn and a back flow insert.It continued after changing the back flow valve 2X's.It keeps happening;just at after shut off it squirts out a through those holes under the collar.
I called the plumber who said he has been coming there for years for the same problem on all 4 toilets and eventuyally the will all do it and he replaces the backflow insert/valve but they start up again.He said he cant figure it out and to call ZURN as the preasure is comming from the toilet side not street side and its possibly defective bowls???He said its doing its job but cant figure out where the preasure is comeing from that pushes the water back through those vent ports???
He said he could replace the vented back flow tube section with a non vented one but thats a Rube Goldberg fix.....ANY THOUGHTs would be appreciated.
Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Usually it is because the inside of the tailpiece is corroded so the rubber sleeve cannot make a good contact. One way around it is to use a flanged sink tailpiece in place of the regular slotted one with the rubber valve inside it. The backflow preventer will still close and give adequate protection against the very, very, very small possibility of a backflow, given the spring loaded shut off valve, and the diaphragm in the flush valve itself.

Corky P

Reaction score
Usually it is because the inside of the tailpiece is corroded so the rubber sleeve cannot make a good contact. One way around it is to use a flanged sink tailpiece in place of the regular slotted one with the rubber valve inside it. The backflow preventer will still close and give adequate protection against the very, very, very small possibility of a backflow, given the spring loaded shut off valve, and the diaphragm in the flush valve itself.
thanks
We scraped the areas where the backflow seats still same prob.....
You say use a flanged sink tail piece?Is that like I suggested as a Rube G one thats not slotted and if the water goes back up in will be miniscual??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks