Zoning Heating System

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
So I've pretty much made the decision to zone my heating system. Currently this 3 story 1900 colonial has one zone for all 3 levels and another zone for the sunroom (currently disconnected)

I am in the planning phase now but have some ideas as to what I'm going to do, but I would like input on the best way to approach it.

The third level has 4 cast iron old style radiators. 2 Bedrooms,1bath, hallway
(Zone1)
Second floor bedroom #1 and bedroom #2 (Zone2)
Second floor master bedroom (Zone 3)
Master bedroom bathroom (Zone 4 New Radiant Floor)
Second floor main bathroom (Zone 5 New Radiant Floor)
First floor living room, dining room, Foyer, 1/2 Bath (Zone 6)
Kitchen (Zone 7 New Radiant Floor)
Sunroom/Office (Zone 8 possible radiant floor)

The types of radiators throught out the house are mostly cast iron basebord style and a recessed cast iron type of system that goes in the wall.

I am planning on repiping with pex. Plan is to keep my existing boiler, weil mclain gas fired, about 15 yrs old. Currently has 2 large B&G circs.

Here are my unknowns

1.) Am I going overboard with my zones? House is 4000sq ft
2.) What is the best method to control/distribute these zones?
All of the pex companies have manifolds, but then I see packages systems with zone valves/circs, (watts for example)

I don't want to break the bank. Willing to hear suggestions from the pros.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks