Zone won't shut off

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by seedman76, May 23, 2020.

1. seedman76

seedman76 New Member

Last fall I had a irrigation system that operated perfectly. In November I did a drainage project in my backyard and in the process cut 3 irrigation lines and my 18/8 multi-color low voltage wiring. I repaired the 3 lines. I also purchased a short section of 18/8 wire from my irrigation dealer and spliced it in where I severed the wiring. I used Orbit wire nuts and silicon grease caps. I wired everything up matching each color across the splices. I thought I was in business until I discovered that on my 8 zone system, zone 4 turns on whenever any other zone is on and it won't turn off until I shut the system off at the controller. I've got a pond pump if that matters. While troubleshooting, I disconnected all the wiring for each zone at the Weathermatic SL800 controller. The only wires connected were the red/white wires which come from my Irritrol pump control box and tell the pump to turn on. If with all zones disconnected zone 4 still ran. Somehow it's getting power/water to it even when NONE of the wires for any zone are connected at my controller. I'm at a loss for where to turn and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Check the solenoid at the valve. Be sure it is fully tight clockwise. A quarter turn to half, counter clock wise will allow water to flow. It might have frozen this last winter and it's damaged. A bleed valve, if it has one will also do the same.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. seedman76

seedman76 New Member

Just wanted to give an update and say "thank you" for your help and suggestions on my irrigation issue. I was able to resolve it over the weekend. Turns out it wasn't an electrical issue. Fortunately before I spent much time troubleshooting the electrical components I took the advice to check the valves. I took the solenoid off of zone 4 and verified it was operating by having my wife turn zone 4 on/off at the controller and watching the bottom of the solenoid move up/down. Next I removed the valve and took all the components apart. I discovered a 1/4" diameter rock below the valve laying in the horizontal inlet pipe that brings water to the valve. I removed the rock with needle nose pliers, cleaned the valve, reassembled everything and gave it a try. Presto, everything worked as it should. What a relief...I was elated...thanks again for your help.

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    The stone could have been in there since day one or when a sprinkler head was changed and the stone fell in. Alway flush the pipes after removing a sprinkler or repairing a pipe.

I once had a small piece of steel, from the drill head when the well was drilled driving me nuts. Several times I removed the check valve since the pump was losing prime and nothing found but I could hear, at times, the water rushing back down the well. I finally changed the check valve and if I be damned it did it again, This is going on for two weeks. The last time I removed the check valve, there it was, the piece of steel wedge in the check valve. It was going up and down the pipe a each time I would run the pump or taking the check valve out it would dislodge and fall down the well. :confused: