Zoeller weep hole - below or above water line

Users who are viewing this thread

David Shinn

Reaction score
I have Zoeller M1052. About a weep hole: The instructions say "Drill a 3/16 in vent hole in discharge pipe level with top of pump. Pumps have a vent located in the pump but an additional vent hole is recommended." So, I did that, between the pump and check valve i.e., below the check valve. Question: Should the weep hole be above or below the water line? The hole is above the water line. The water never gets that high. Most advice I find on the web says that the weep hole should be below the water line. A minority say above the water line. Zoeller makes no mention that the weep hole should be above/below water line. What's the advice on this forum? Thanks for your time.

Reach4

Reaction score
Below the cover is important, because it will emit some water. Tilted a bit to direct that water stream down would be better, but not important.

I don't think it would bother the operation, if the hole were lower than the high-water mark. The hole's job is to release air, so I suspect it could do that fine under some water. Because the instructions don't specify to be above the high-water mark, I expect that is fine.

If you have a hole above the high water line, it's fine.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd follow the clear instructions "level with top of pump" should work . why not?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
One trick I like to do if the weep hole sprays all over or on you while inspecting, is to get a Rubber fernco sewer coupling that is designed for your discharge size.. and one pipe size larger. Cut that in half across the Diameter. Band that half on your discharge so that the Larger size of the fernco is sheilding the discharge so it doesn't spray all over the place.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If second hole is needed it would be above the water line in the pit below the cover. Don't know why this copy and pasted like this.
Information - vent hole purpose. It is necessary that all sub mers ible sump, effl uent, and sewage pumps capable of handling various sizes of solid waste be of the bottom intake design to reduce clog ging and seal failures. If a check valve is incorporated in the installation, a vent hole (approx. 3/16") must be drilled in the discharge pipe below the check valve and pit cover to purge the unit of trapped air. Trapped air is caused by agitation and/or a dry basin. Vent hole should be checked periodically for clogging. The 50 or 90 Series pumps have a vent lo cated in the pump housing opposite the fl oat, ad ja cent to a housing lug, but an additional vent hole is recommended. The vent hole on a High Head application may cause too much turbulence. You may not want to drill one. If you choose not to drill a vent hole, be sure the pump case and impeller is covered with liquid before connecting the pipe to the check valve and no inlet carries air to the pump intake. NOTE: THE HOLE MUST ALSO BE BELOW THE BASIN COVER AND CLEANED PERIODICALLY. Water stream will be visible from this hole during pump run periods.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would love for someone to drill the hole above the lid and post a video of the initial start up!

David Shinn

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your replies. Consensus is that the location of the weep hole (level with top of pump, above water line, below the check valve, directed downward 45 degrees, below the pit cover) is OK. Thanks. I'll sleep a little better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks