Zoeller backup sump issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff Uden

Reaction score
I have a Zoeller 508 battery backup sump system that doesn't always work and I can't figure out why. When the second float for the backup is triggered, I can always hear the backup pump turn on. The problem is that sometimes the first time it kicks on after the primary pump fails, the backup is running without ejecting anything. If I mess with the backup float to turn the backup pump off and then on again a few times, it will eventually start draining the pit and will work continually from that point forward until the primary pump is working again. We are leaving town for vacation soon and it makes me nervous that sometimes it requires manual intervention.

From reading threads, it sounds like the type of experience you get with airlock, but the backup pump has a built-in check valve and the other check value that came with it to plug directly into the primary pump seems to have a built in weep hole. I don't think there is anyplace to drill another weep hole because there is no check valve that isn't directly connected to one of the pumps.

The other thing that I wondered is head pressure, but it is only 8-9ft to the top of the foundation and then it turns, exits the house and immediately goes down into a long run of underground pipe(100ft) to drain into a creek. It seems weird that it works on the second or third try when I manually turn it off and on if it couldn't get over the head pressure.

Any suggestions?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks