Zinsco breaker removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
I know, the whole panel should go, but for now I need to replace one breaker, double pole 40 amp. Anything I should know about removing the breaker with the red metal center bar. 1960's vintage, no melted fuses yet

Attachments

• ZINSCO1.jpg
    ZINSCO1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 988

Stuff

Reaction score
Kill power to the panel first. Sometimes the breakers fall out. Sometimes you need a crowbar. The bars might be corroded or welded to the breaker. You have option to leave bad breaker where it's at and add new breaker in empty space.

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

After sending a picture and saying I needed an exact replacement, when I picked up the breaker at the local electrical supply, the new one has a round edge that protrudes higher than the original, which has a 45 degree slope, that sits under the red metal plate. They said, just file it down to fit
20 amp double pole $$$$$95 plus tax, that doesn't fit without extra labor. To add insult to injury, after installed, one side, no power, a defective fn breaker. ( the breaker in the photo is a 40, and not fully seated, but it shows the physical discrepancy
And yes, the breakers are really hard to pull out. Surprisingly, there are no signs of burning.

Question.....how are these supposed to be installed, pushed straight in, or angled right side in first? I was trying to angle it in putting the right side in first, ended up bending the aluminum bus bar a little.

Attachments

• Zinsco Breaker.jpg
    Zinsco Breaker.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 362

Stuff

Reaction score
Question.....how are these supposed to be installed, pushed straight in, or angled right side in first? I was trying to angle it in putting the right side in first, ended up bending the aluminum bus bar a little.

Breakers need to be angled in as outer nub goes under outer bar to secure. Similar to most modern breakers.
Watch someone else struggle. They widened one clip to make it easier to snap in. Start at 3:00:

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Thanks for the video, at least he didn't have to deal with the rounded top edge not fitting, since that panel doesn't have the red metal plate holding the breakers in. So I need to slightly widen the back metal clip on the breaker, just enough to fit it in,, without causing arcing and an overheating situation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks