Yet another... "Which water heater should I buy?"

Users who are viewing this thread

AlGreen

Reaction score
Our 9-year-old gas heater just started leaking, so it's time. Looking for the regular tank type, capacity for 2-4 people, good energy efficiency, and willing to spend up to $1500.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The number of people doesn't indicate the size of the tubs or the number of simultaneous showers might be happening. A big soaker tub needs more water heater than a standard tub, a house with three full bathrooms needs more water heater than a single bath.

How big is the failing tank? Did it serve your needs?

Do you heat your house with a boiler? (An indirect fired water heater heated by the boiler has lower standby loss than a standalone, and the extra load yields a higher as-used AFUE on the boiler.)

AlGreen

Reaction score
The number of people doesn't indicate the size of the tubs or the number of simultaneous showers might be happening. A big soaker tub needs more water heater than a standard tub, a house with three full bathrooms needs more water heater than a single bath.

How big is the failing tank? Did it serve your needs?

Do you heat your house with a boiler? (An indirect fired water heater heated by the boiler has lower standby loss than a standalone, and the extra load yields a higher as-used AFUE on the boiler.)

The old tank was 50 gallons and was good for our usage. We heat our house with a gas furnace.

The one I'm curently considering:

Rheem XG50T12DM40U0

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ural-Gas-Water-Heater-XG50T12DM40U0/204318411

AlGreen

Reaction score
I was able to get a plumber I've used once before to do the install this afternoon, so I just went with the water heater I linked to above.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not a bad choice. The main thing is that you have hot water now.

What did you pay for installation and what was included in it?

AlGreen

Reaction score
Yep, hot water is good.

The plumber was running late, so he said he'd send me a bill with the amount. I wasn't crazy about that, but I wasn't in the mood to press him. The install required some cutting of the hot and cold water pipes in order to accommodate the taller inlet and outlet on the Rheem. He also needed to do some minor cutting/reconfiguring to get the exhaust ductwork to fit with the vent hood.

AlGreen

Reaction score
The water heater that was just installed seems to be working fine (we have hot water), however, I'm noticing an unfamiliar smell that seems to coincide with when the water is being heated. It seems as if something is burning off from either the heater itself or a material used in the install. Any ideas,

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cutting and shortening or lengthening the water pipes and vent pipes is routine for me on a w/h installation. I don't charge extra for that, just materials.
The smell could be from some of the new labels cooking off when the w/h cycles on.

AlGreen

Reaction score
Thanks. I won't sweat the smell.

We have a water softener too, and I've been reading the differing opinions about whether these are good or bad for the water heater, i.e. less sediment but shorter anode lifespan. Is there any point in adjusting the settings on the softener and/or using a particular type of softener pellets to get more upside and less down for the heater?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your new water heater is insulated with expanding foam type around the tank. When new and heated, it emits that smell, but it will go away soon.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think filtered and softened water is good for your water heater.
It can a mixed blessing from the point of view of the WH. The deposits of hard water can actually make a protective coating. But the coating can build big enough to insulate the water from the heat source, especially with gas. The deposits can even displace water.

A good anode can help protect the WH from corroding.

Filtered is good. I cleaned a lot of little rocks out of my water heater. Those are blocked by filters now.

GTOwagon

Reaction score
I have read that if you bypass your softener once a year for a day, the minerals your water heater will receive as protective coating is enough.

AlGreen

Reaction score
Not a bad choice. The main thing is that you have hot water now.

What did you pay for installation and what was included in it?

Finally received an invoice for the work (I provided the water heater). Seems high, but I'm in North NJ and everything is expensive here. Still, I'd be interested to hear whether this sounds completely out of whack.

2018-02-28 16.44.22.jpg

Phog

Reaction score
I don't think I can comment on the going price in your area, but I wonder at the "extras". What is included in a $525 installation fee if standard install parts such as basic galvanized vent pipe and gas nipples are not? Apparently just making connections & hauling away the old unit.

Also, I'm not sure how things are in your neighborhood, but around here an old tank (or really any type of old appliance) left on the curb will end up in the back of some trash picker's truck maybe 15 minutes after it gets set out there. Something to consider next time you feel like you need to pay someone for haul-away.

Last summer I asked a guy I saw picking up someone's old heater why he went to the trouble for something like that, and he said he pulls out the gas control valve assembly and sells it to a cheap landlord he knows, for use on the guy's rental units. For $15 a pop. Go figure.

AlGreen

Reaction score
I was also wondering what his standard installation price includes if not those "extras." Then there's the fact that his work on the exhaust duct left it pulled a few inches away from where it enters the basement wall, he did a half-assed job of reinstalling the hanger strap for the expansion tank, and that I helped him get the new heater in the house and the old heater out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks