Yet another shower drain issue ...

Users who are viewing this thread

kk3

Reaction score
Leaky shower drain. When I went to replace the drain, I did not find what I expected. Instead, the drain seems to be bonded to the shower base (Fiat brand, circa 1975). A two inch PVC pipe extended through the metal drain and was sealed with a gasket. However, the gasket was about twice the thickness of a "normal" gasket and was made out of an off-white flexible rubber. Maybe a soft gum rubber. Not silicone. There is no method to compress the gasket, either. I need to either find a suitable gasket or method of sealing around a new pvc pipe or replace the drain altogether. I have been unable to remove the old drain, and the cutout seems to be a little larger than standard. I am avoiding replacing the shower base if at all possible. Can I pack bonding putty around the bottom and then fill with plumber's putty? Please see attached photos. Good advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• Dsc04128small.jpg
    Dsc04128small.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,553
  • Dsc04129small.jpg
    Dsc04129small.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,343
  • Dsc04130small.jpg
    Dsc04130small.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,367
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks