Yet another question on installing a submersible pump in a dug well

Users who are viewing this thread

AndyF

Reaction score
I am renovating a house in Central NY that has a cast concrete cased dug well.

I had a well drilled, which turned out not to be usable due to high sulfur and low flow. I would like to use the submersible pump I purchased for the drilled well in my dug well and am looking for tips on the best way to set it in the dug well.

The pump I’m replacing in the dug well was a submersible that was just dropped into the well and was laying on its side at the bottom of the well. This seems like a completely hacked way to set a pump.

My thought was to get a length or two of approx 1” pipe, put a foot on the bottom of the pipe to keep it from sinking into the bottom of the well and to strap the pump to the pipe, possibly using some rubber bushings to allow for a little torque twist on startup. The pipe would be tied off to the ladder rungs that are embedded in the cast concrete rings that encase the well.

Is there a better or “standard” way submersible pumps are installed in dug wells.

The dug well is about 100 yards from the house and the bottom of the well is probably at least 40’ below the point where the water line enters the basement.

The pump I’m planning to use is the one I purchased for the drilled well. It is a 4” Goulds 7GSO7422C.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Is there a better or “standard” way submersible pumps are installed in dug wells.
Zip tie three sections of 4 inch PVC to form a triangle and place it horizontally. Insert the pump inside the top PVC. The other two form a support base. Perhaps Cary will come along and provide a picture.

Reach4

Reaction score
How do you plan to prevent freezing of the water line?

One way is to pass a pipe thru the well wall below the frost line, and have the pump hang from a pitless adapter. That requires good sealing around the pipe that passes thru the wall. That pipe could be a long stainless steel nipple, and you would transition to plastic for the trip to the house.

The pump would be horizontal, or vertical, depending. Either way, there would be a flow inducer.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Perhaps Cary will come along and provide a picture.
A prior photo from Cary which unfortunately, does not show a 3rd section of PVC to encase the pump so as to act as a flow inducer.
index.php

AndyF

Reaction score
How do you plan to prevent freezing of the water line?
The waterline enters the dug well below the frostline and comes into the basement below the frostline. The previous owners had a submersible pump dropped in the well and used it for 20+ years.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
May not need to lay the pump on its side, but the shroud or flow sleeve will make any pump last longer. The shroud is even more important if you restrict the flow from the pump.

shroud 3 pics sized.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks