Yet another post from someone going crazy choosing a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

sany

Reaction score
We will soon be doing a bathroom renovation and will be replacing our toilet. (this site has been a great source of info, btw - thanks!!) It is a relatively small bathroom, with the current toilet measuring about 27 1/2" from wall to front of toilet. Requirements for the replacement:
- 28" or less
- skirted
- obviously it needs to flush well
- I do not want to deal with skid marks. This is probably my biggest fear after reading many of the posts about the different toilets here. I'm fine with the occasional issue, as that will happen with any toilet, but I do not want to be cleaning the bowl after each #2.
- While noise is not my primary factor, i would not mind if the toilet had a flush on the quieter side. Again, not a key factor but would certainly be a tie-breaker.
- style-wise, i think the toilets i like are considered transitional

Skirted, 28" or less seems to really limit our options. The toilets I've found so far that look like they satisfy the 28" and skirted requirements are:
- Duravit Sparck 3 or Darling New
- Icera Muse II or Cadence
Any observations on these toilets as to the quality of the toilets and how they perform (both as far as flushing and skidmarks)? Are there other toilets that i should be considering? Recommendations?

Thanks so much!!

Reach4

Reaction score
Toto Aquia IV WASHLET®+ S500e
One-Piece Toilet - 1.28 & 0.8 GPF

https://www.totousa.com/aquia-iv-washlet-500e-one-piece-toilet-128-08-gpf

Premist moistens the walls to reduce deposits. Needs GFCI outlet for the premist and bidet functions. Available without the bidet seat that has the premist, so in that case, no outlet required.

With the included TSU08W.12 Unifit, you can usually adjust the toilet closer to the wall.
s-l64.jpg
s-l64.jpg
The 12-inch rough adapter is included. 10 and 14 inch are extra.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For the functional aspects that you want, I would hew closer to a Toto or the like rather than the esoteric brands.

sany

Reaction score
For the functional aspects that you want, I would hew closer to a Toto or the like rather than the esoteric brands.
Based on other posts in this forum, I did take a look at the Toto toilets, and the one that comes closest to the 28" requirement (and is also skirted) is the Aquia IV. I am considering that as well (lol - did not mention it above as I figured folks would immediately gravitate to that one and I wanted to see if there was something else i should look at.) We have a door that opens into the bathroom right by the toilet, so there is a real physical limitation but i think we should be ok, as the Aquia is pretty close at 28 1/4". I was initially concerned about the skid marks that one reads about with the Aquia IV, but based on other posts that I've seen on this forum, it looks like you would still recommend that over the other brands - is that correct?

Thanks so much!

sany

Reaction score
For bathroom #2, we do not have a length constraint but more of a width issue. The Aquia IV would fit with no issue. I think the Legato might also fit, although it would be tight. I like the idea of the dual flush of the aquia iv to help conserve water, but if I go solely based on performance (fewer clogs and skid marks), how does the Aquia iv measure up to the Legato?

Aquia IV, 800 grams
Carlyle II, 1000 grams
The Carlyle will be similar to the Aimes and the Legato.
added by Terry Love

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Second Reach4 suggestion. I have a remodel contractor client who we installed a toto (forget exact model) with a washlet.. she says its been skid free for months.. cefiontec with ewater from the washlet

sany

Reaction score
Second Reach4 suggestion. I have a remodel contractor client who we installed a toto (forget exact model) with a washlet.. she says its been skid free for months.. cefiontec with ewater from the washlet

thanks. Reach4 and Tuttles Revenge - would you still go with the Aquia IV if the washlet is not an option? (currently no outlet near the toilet)

and related to the washlet - we have looked into putting an outlet by the toilet, and have been told that the most viable option, due to restrictions in our building, is to have outlet which will only work when the light is on. This means that the washlet, should we ever decide to go that way, would be turned on and off regularly. Would the washlet even work under those conditions? I assume it was not built to be turned on and off constantly, and have concerns about how that would impact its lifespan. I also don't know if there is a 'start up time' once the unit comes on - if so, seems like the pre-mist might not be able to serve its purpose. Any experience with the washlet under these conditions?

Reach4

Reaction score
thanks. Reach4 and Tuttles Revenge - would you still go with the Aquia IV if the washlet is not an option? (currently no outlet near the toilet)
It would be a good choice. The skidmark thing would have been minimized with the misting, but the toilet should do well without the fancy seat. You could experiment with the unusual step of spraying water from a spray bottle before anticipated action. For any toilet, keep a toilet brush handy for an occasional swish. You can retire the plunger, however.

Think about a cheap no-heat bidet adapter. It does not address your stated concerns, but it helps keep another place cleaner. Saving toilet paper is only a minor, but real, side effect.

Last edited:

Koa

In the Trades
Reaction score

and related to the washlet - we have looked into putting an outlet by the toilet, and have been told that the most viable option, due to restrictions in our building, is to have outlet which will only work when the light is on. This means that the washlet, should we ever decide to go that way, would be turned on and off regularly. Would the washlet even work under those conditions? I assume it was not built to be turned on and off constantly, and have concerns about how that would impact its lifespan. I also don't know if there is a 'start up time' once the unit comes on - if so, seems like the pre-mist might not be able to serve its purpose. Any experience with the washlet under these conditions?

Assuming a vent fan is independent of your light circuit, you could install smart bulbs, wireless remote dimmer/on/off switch mounted anywhere. Your existing light switch would stay always on. The Hue system has all these capabilities. Probably be cheaper than a electrician moving an outlet (which you can’t do anyway). If your vanity is nearby, you can run wiring from Washlet though that to the outlet by sink maybe. Worth considering since it might make a difference on which toilet you decide to purchase.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks