Yet another not priming pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Mitcheal

Reaction score
Just replaced a pump, that would lose prime over time, usually overnight. I was always able to prime again though, within a few min. I've replaced the pump, and cannot get it to prime. It just takes water without stopping. This is in northeast Florida, shallow well. No clue how deep it is, previous owner had it done. 25-30ft i'm guessing. I have a 1.5 horse pump. I've tried with a check valve on the suction side within 2 ft of the pump, and without. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

I assume it's a bad foot valve at this point. I called a few well diggers, and some have said i don't have a foot valve. Not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,
mitch.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you do not have a foot valve them most likely you have a sand point well. The sand point is leaking above the screen or water bearing formation and is sucking in air instead of water. Probably just need to drive a new sand point.

Mitcheal

Reaction score
If you do not have a foot valve them most likely you have a sand point well. The sand point is leaking above the screen or water bearing formation and is sucking in air instead of water. Probably just need to drive a new sand point.
should i cut the pipe, and drop something down with a string to see if there is water in the pipe? or just move over a few feet and put in a new sand point?

Mitcheal

Reaction score
There is probably water in the pipe/point well. There is just a hole in the casing above the water line that causes the lose of prime.
right, but i'm guessing i should verify first while i'm at it. and i'm guessing there is no way to pull that pipe up?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks