Yet another "island" vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

JG@TL

Reaction score
Is it permissible (in Chicago) for the drain line of a first floor kitchen island drain to run vertically to a drain in the basement floor below the kitchen, rather than "horizontally" (with 1/4" slope) to a vertical plumbing stack?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Out of the trap, the trap arm must stay horizontal for at least 2 pipe diameters before the vent. The line must stay horizontal until at least the vent. At that point the line may turn down.

When the vertical line then turns horizontal, that is a common place for a blockage to occur. That turn at the bottom should be a long sweep. That may be under the basement floor already. So at least put a cleanout in to make cleaning that turn easier.

I am not a plumber.

JG@TL

Reaction score
Out of the trap, the trap arm must stay horizontal for at least 2 pipe diameters before the vent. The line must stay horizontal until at least the vent. At that point the line may turn down.

When the vertical line then turns horizontal, that is a common place for a blockage to occur. That turn at the bottom should be a long sweep. That may be under the basement floor already. So at least put a cleanout in to make cleaning that turn easier.

I am not a plumber.

JG@TL

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, and that is good advice about potential blockages when the drain turns from vertical to horizontal, especially below the concrete basement floor.

But all the diagrams of island venting I have seen show traps emptying into vertical drain lines above the kitchen floor then turning "horizontal" (with slope) below just below the floor, with the looped vent line running sloped slightly upward above the drain line. Some diagrams show a drain connection downward from the vent line to the drain to handle blockages.

What I am asking is whether the island drain line can run straight down to to a drain in the basement floor, rather than turning "horizontal" a foot or so below the floor. This would mean that the drain line would run vertically about 10 feet before it goes horizontal below the floor.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
But all the diagrams of island venting I have seen show traps emptying into vertical drain lines above the kitchen floor then turning "horizontal" (with slope) below just below the floor

index.php

from https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/kitchen-sink-vent-issue.27999/ #12

JG@TL

Reaction score
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My issue is: my "ground" is 8 feet below my kitchen floor: Would that kind of drop be permissible? Would the accelerating water create suction that might empty the trap and/or cause other problems?
Yes. Support PVC every 4 ft. I based that on http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/drainage-pipe-supports-d_1106.html

I would presume that the venting requirements take that into account. It seems to me that there are actuall two paths for venting in practice, regardless of any official designations.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks