Yet another drain relocation question (P-trap stays or moves)

Users who are viewing this thread

cwindingland

Reaction score
I apologize if this has already been asked and answered but I was not able to find a suitable resolution. I have a roughed-in bath that is sitting on a concrete slab. I need to move the drain about 16 inches over to accomodate the new shower pan. The P-trap is directly under the existing PVC pipe and down about 12-14 inches from the surface. I was hoping to just leave the trap in place, put an elbow just above the trap and come over the 16 inches needed and back up to center in the needed location. Thanks, in advance, for lending your expertiese.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's nothing illegal about what you want to do but I would move the trap because any elbows you add to a shower trap arm are just another place to catch hair.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
What ever happened to a cleanout being required with 90 degree changes of direction. How many changes of direction will one clean out serve?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need a clean out within the trap arm but....if you're turning 2 elbows it would be a damn good idea.
Think of it like its an offset drain for a handicap lav.

cwindingland

Reaction score
Sounds like the best thing to do is move the trap. I guess the extra effort to dig a little more is worth the peace of mind in doing it right. Thanks for the replies.

Hackney plumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
You don't need a clean out within the trap arm but....if you're turning 2 elbows it would be a damn good idea.
Think of it like its an offset drain for a handicap lav.

I'm trying to picture it as a handi lav but the 4-6" of concrete and the shower on top of it keeps getting in the way. With a lav you can take all that apart or easily cut it out.

I'm not making a big deal out of it but I just dont like it. With plastics its much easier to clean it through multiple bends as compared to cast iron that starts to close up over time. I believe this guy has plastic so thats not an issue.

I would move the trap myself unless somthing was in the way like another drain or a solid grade beam of concrete. Breaking out a couple feet of 4" slab takes literally a couple minutes with the right equipment and its cheap to patch it back.

Hopefully all this is 2" pipe and he uses long sweeps if he decides not to move it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Move the trap. YOU will like it because it will not develop nasty odors in the extra length, and your plumber will love you when he has to unplug the drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks