Yet another disposal connection....

Users who are viewing this thread

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
OK, so I've seen about 10 of these in the recent past, so I apologize for not quite finding out the answer after my search.

There was a typical sink/dw/disposal in place prior to remodel. The remodel involved changing out the countertops (sweet new concrete counters!) and installing a rectangular, deep-basin sink (that apparently everyone is drooling over). Anyway, no disposal was put under it because the deep sink would put the trap weir too high for the disposal, but the question is now brought up if one can be added.

My initial response was, "yes, but..." thinking the cabinet back has to be hacked apart and the tee lowered.

Then I remembered there's a cleanout that's pretty much at the base of the cabinet. My hunch is that you cannot use it because the trap would have to be embedded in the base of the cabinet (making it not really an option), but I'm not a plumber so I don't know if there's something that would be able to work (while avoiding an S-trap). Able meaning tolerable, not necessarily ideal, such as, can the trap arm be 45'ed? or is it req'd to be level (with slope obv.)?

This isn't work I'm responsible to do, but I want to give a decent answer to the client.

Thanks,
- J

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the cleanout is below the trap arm, then the pipe may be vertical there. Cutting some wall and lowering the santee might be doable. Don't use the cleanout fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks