Yet another basement vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

Djarchow

Reaction score
I know this is yet another basement venting question, but I appreciate any help! I am finishing my basement and when I built the house 14 years ago, I had the plumbers rough in a bathroom in the basement but I am not sure what they did under the concrete. They have since gone out of business (If you saw their work you would understand why) so I can't call them and ask. I am attaching a drawing of our current plumbing and what I think they may have done under the concrete but again am not sure. The basement bath will have a shower, toilet and sink/vanity.

The basement bathroom will be directly under the master bath. I know the master bath vanity vents though up to the attic. It doesn't appear that any of the other master bath plumbing has their own vent to the attic, other than what I show in my picture. I didn't show any of the traps or wye connections in the drawing but they are there for the existing master bath plumbing.

I ran a camera up the 2" pipe in the shower hole in the slab as far as I could. I think I made it close to where the toilet flange is roughed in and hit an elbow or Y but couldn't tell which.

So here are my questions:

Do you think the 2" coming from the shower hole in the slab is a vent or drain?If it is a vent, did they intend for me to tie into the 3" under the concrete next to the hole for the drain? Seems like that would require removing some concrete as the 3" is fully under the slab, though flush with the exiting hole in the concrete. If it is a drain, it was not capped off under the gravel in the hole. Also if it is a drain, can I tie a vent into the 3" vertical next to it.

The vanity will be on the opposite side of the wall of the shower with the 3" vertical. Can I tie into the 3" vertical for the vanity drain and vent as shown in red and green in my picture?

Finally, I assume they handled the basement toilet venting given the close proximity to the vent but I am not sure how to tell for sure? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Regards,
Dennis

Basement plumbing.jpg

Djarchow

Reaction score
In looking at my previous attempt at drawing out the plumbing in our master bath and what is in the basement, I see it wasn't very clear. I am attaching a new image that will hopefully better illustrate what I have. I have color coded the pipes, added traps etc..

My main questions are:
Is the red mystery pipe coming out in the hole the plumbers left for the shower more likely a vent or a drain? If it is a drain, can I hook a vent into the blue 3"? If it is a vent were they expecting me to attach the drain to the blue 3" under the slab?

For the vanity, can I hook the drain and the vent into the blue 3" vertical as long as the vent is above 42"?

Finally, is there anyway to know if they tied the basement toilet drain to the vent that goes into the slab next to it. I assume so but assuming is usually a bad idea.

Thanks for any help. I greatly appreciate it.

Dennis

plumbing2.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks