Yet another 'add a utility sink' draining question...

Users who are viewing this thread

hexe

Reaction score
Searched the archives, but didn't find anything that quite fit what I'm seeking...

I'm renting a place that is presently set up to have the washing machine discharge directly into a vertical pipe, around 18 inches in length, which is situated about 6 feet above the floor of the basement/garage [the house if a raised rancher]. I have two German Shepherd Dogs who are always happy to share their fur everywhere, so I've always made sure I had a really fine-mesh drain screen set in the utility sink where my washing machines always drained out...but this place has no such sink, and I'm not convinced that the mesh sock on the discharge hose that's hung in the vertical pipe will collect all the dog hair, lint and other debris carried out when the washer empties.

I can't make any permanent modifications to the existing plumbing, since I'm just a renter, so I was thinking I could just set up a utility sink that wouldn't have any water supply to it, and have the washer drain into the sink, so I can filter the discharge water so I'm not pushing all that dog hair and lint through the plumbing. The question is, how do I get the water that will then drain out of the sink up to that vertical pipe where the washer was formerly discharging? I'm guessing I need to have some sort of pump connected to the sink drain, and then run a hose from the pump to that pipe? I don't want to spend a fortune on this project, since I've only got a year's lease...

Thanks in advance, and hope my description makes sense. Will see if I can't get a sufficiently-lighted photo of what is presently there...

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you consider what people put down their toilets, I would not be too concerned about lint and dog hair going down a proply plumbed washer drain.
I have seen sump pumps plugged up by lint.

hexe

Reaction score
washer setup.jpg
Here's the set up I have to work with--the red arrow is the main line from the house [bathroom & kitchen fixtures]; the blue diamond is where the small utility sink will have to go after I shift the washer and dryer over to make room for it. Am limited to where I can move the appliances by where the hookups for them are, and can't move anything else as a tenant. If I owned the place, I'd just have it remodeled to suit my liking and be done with it.

Terry, what do I search for as far as said pumps--laundry sink pump? I've seen something called a 'laundry tray pump', but they all seem to run $150+, which seems rather pricey for what I'm trying to accomplish.

cacher_chick, I get your point, but what I'm trying to do is to have the washer discharge into a sink, where I'll have a fine-screen mesh filter installed over the sink's drain to capture the lint & dog hair before the waste water hits the pump, and keep it out of both the pump AND the plumbing.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Then you will need to pump it from a laundry tray. I have had good results with the liberty 404 or 405 models.

You still need a proper vent, no matter which way you go.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It depends on where the laundry sink is going but you could put a tee above the tee for the washer trap and not have to run any piping under the floor or pull that other vent.

Right now there is no vent for the existing washer trap, and if he installs a pumped basin, IT will require a vent.

hexe

Reaction score
Right now there is no vent for the existing washer trap, and if he installs a pumped basin, IT will require a vent.
So, wait--cacher_chick, are you saying the way it's presently set up isn't correct to begin with?
[Oh, and I'm a she, and she's realizing that what she thought would be a simple re-routing of wash water from having it go directly into that open pipe coming off the line to the septic, and instead emptying into a utility basin for filtering before the water was then pumped up to said open pipe, is SO not a simple project by any stretch!] I'm starting to think I probably would be better off to just suck it up and live with the current set up until my lease is up in August, and then move to something where stuff was actually done to code standards.

Thanks to all who responded...if nothing else, I learned some new stuff, and that's always a win!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
So, wait--cacher_chick, are you saying the way it's presently set up isn't correct to begin with?
[Oh, and I'm a she, and she's realizing that what she thought would be a simple re-routing of wash water from having it go directly into that open pipe coming off the line to the septic, and instead emptying into a utility basin for filtering before the water was then pumped up to said open pipe, is SO not a simple project by any stretch!] I'm starting to think I probably would be better off to just suck it up and live with the current set up until my lease is up in August, and then move to something where stuff was actually done to code standards.

Thanks to all who responded...if nothing else, I learned some new stuff, and that's always a win!

I can surely understand not wanting to make an investment in property that does not belong to you.

The existing washer trap is not vented, so it would not pass a proper inspection. In addition, some plumbing codes specify the height of the trap in relation to the floor, so if thet were the case where you live, it would fail a proper inspection for that reason also.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks