Yellow Untreated Water After Regeneration cycle

Users who are viewing this thread

madchase18

Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently, I am experiencing approximately 5 minutes worth (20-30 gallons) of yellow, untreated water after each time that my Water-Right Sanitizer Plus unit regenerates. After it runs, it clears right up and is completely fine until the unit regenerates again. After speaking and dealing with 2 vendors (including the vendor that installed the unit), I have no answers or explanations regarding why this particular problem keeps occurring. I have an impression series neutralizer unit upstream of the Sanitizer plus unit. I use white crystal salt in the blue bags in my brine tank and always have because the vendor who installed said not to use any additives. The injector has been replaced twice, the stack assembly has been replaced, and both filtering medias in both vessels have been replaced. I have eliminated any extra 90 degree fittings on the discharge line to reduce any resistance or back pressure the discharge line may be experiencing. The Sanitizer regenerates once every 4 days and the impression regenerates every 3 days. This problem does not occur when the impression series unit regens, only the Sanitizer. Settings on the sanitizer have been played with numerous times, including an increase in rinse time and rinse cycles, back flush times, rest periods, etc. The vendor who originally installed the unit claims that it is because my "well is low-producing". My well guy, however, does not agree. I have even had the well guy blow out the well and install a cap seal to prevent any air leakage into the well. After all this, still nothing has changed. I have even called the manufacturer directly, to no avail. I feel as though I am wasting my money and could have easily replaced the current system with a brand new system. If there is anyone out there who can help me, PLEASE respond. I am tired and broke. Thank you in advance.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Has this been an ongoing problem, or has the system been working with the issue suddenly occurring?

How old is the unit and has the media ever been replaced?

Post the details of each setting along with your well lab test report and usual water consumption quantities or the number of occupants so we may estimate water usage.

In reviewing the Water-Right specification page, there are 6 models listed so we will need to know which specific model you own.

While you said the rinse time has been modified, nothing was mentioned about the Brine Draw setting. There is often a Slow Rinse component linked to the Brine Draw setting so depending on the current BD setting, the Slow Rinse time could be insufficient.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Post your untreated water report. Your unit is a very nice piece of equipment but if it applied improperly it will not work properly. Unfortunately to many companies read the marketing literature and assume the literature is truthful rather than fanciful. Some of the specs on the water quality may be a bit overblown. Lets see your water report, how many people in the house, and the model number of your unit and we can likely guide you in a better direction.

madchase18

Reaction score
Has this been an ongoing problem, or has the system been working with the issue suddenly occurring?

How old is the unit and has the media ever been replaced?

Post the details of each setting along with your well lab test report and usual water consumption quantities or the number of occupants so we may estimate water usage.

In reviewing the Water-Right specification page, there are 6 models listed so we will need to know which specific model you own.

While you said the rinse time has been modified, nothing was mentioned about the Brine Draw setting. There is often a Slow Rinse component linked to the Brine Draw setting so depending on the current BD setting, the Slow Rinse time could be insufficient.

The unit was purchased in 2017 from the previous owner of the residence. Both media beds were replaced in September of 2019. The sanitizer is zeolite crystal while the acid neutralizer is 80-20 mineral. The stack assembly, chlorinator, and injector were all replaced in february of 2019. More recently, the injector was replaced last week (March 2020) to a larger sized (yellow) injector to allow a larger hole and prevent plugging.

Water usage is considerably low, as it is just me and my fiancee living in the home.

The only well test I have is what the gentleman did in front of me while he was there. He noted that the well is 10 ppm iron (i understand this is high but there are worse areas in my county that don't have my current issue) 140 ppb TDS, ph 6.5, hardness 10.

I will check to see which specific model I have but i can tell you that the tank size is 13x54 for the sanitizer and 10x54 for the acid neutralizer.

The Brine Draw setting is currently 100. The "regen cycle" currently has two 5 minute flushes with a 20 minute rest in between, followed by the brine draw, then a 6minute rapid rinse, 20 minute rest, followed by another 6 min rapid rinse.

The well was done back in the late 70s, but since the original owner of the home (who sold it to the person who had this unit installed) lives next door, I asked if he ever had issues with the well... to which he replied absolutely not.

The well guy thinks the problem has something to do with the sanitizer, and the guy who installed the sanitizer claims its the well.......

Nothing has changed since the most recent service call last week (March 2020)

BkE

Reaction score
The Brine Draw setting is currently 100. The "regen cycle" currently has two 5 minute flushes with a 20 minute rest in between, followed by the brine draw, then a 6minute rapid rinse, 20 minute rest, followed by another 6 min rapid rinse.

I don't think the 20 minute rest is very benificial for the regeneration of the unit. If you use water during this cycle (toilet flush for example), brine and/or untreated water will enter your pipes. Maybe brine settles at the bottom of your tank during this 20 minutes and is harder to backwash out and that's the yellowish water? Do you taste brine? Can you test the conductivity/TDS of this yellowish water?

Crystal right doesn't need that much backwash flow... I don't think your well needs 20 minutes recovery time.

I would actually reprogram it to the original settings without the waiting time.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
NJ has a private well testing act that requires the seller of the home to have the well tested (its a laundry list of items) and provide the results to the buyer. You should have been given a copy of that in 2017 as a part of the real estate transaction

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks