Yard Hydrants and Code

Users who are viewing this thread

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
I install yard hydrants sometimes on main waterline when I drill a new well. There is one county that I work in that has failed my inspection twice lately. The first time, they claimed I either had to install a sanitary hydrant or a backflow preventer. The homeowner complained to inspector and he said just put on and anti-siphon device on the hose and the county passed it. Just did another job and they failed it again, this time I put on anti siphon fitting. What is the real code? Every other place I work I just install the hydrant, no anti-siphon, no backflow preventer...and have no problems.

Reach4

Reaction score
https://up.codes/viewer/virginia/va-plumbing-code-2012/chapter/6/water-supply-and-distribution#6
608.15.4.2 Hose connections [IPC]

Sillcocks, hose bibbs, wall hydrants and other openings with a hose connection shall be protected by an atmospheric-type or pressure-type vacuum breaker or a permanently attached hose connection vacuum breaker.

Exceptions:
  1. This section shall not apply to water heater and boiler drain valves that are provided with hose connection threads and that are intended only for tank or vessel draining.
  2. This section shall not apply to water supply valves intended for connection of clothes washing machines where backflow prevention is otherwise provided or is integral with the machine.
yard-hydrant-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
So you are saying yard hydrant would fall in that category and only need protection on the hose like I have already included?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know how it is going to be interpreted locally, but I would think so. I am not a pro.

The "permanent" can normally be an vacuum breaker screwed on, and then the screw broken off. To swap it out, you drill out the screw.

Alternatively the hydrant would have a non-GHT thread that the breaker screws into. I don't know what would be available along those lines.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks