Wye not cut it in here?

Users who are viewing this thread

vinrin2

Reaction score
I am installing a new linear shower drain. What I hope to do is install the new drain upstream of the 1.5” dry vent, however there is already one 2” vented drain that discharges just above the vent (originates at my washing machine).

Reading code 909.2, it appears that I should not install the shower drain onto the 3” main wet vent where I hope to.

But really, the washing machine wet vent drain is rarely with water so it’s pretty much a vent, right . This is my attempt at trying to justify why I should go forward.

Attached is a diagram that has a”blue” wye where I want the drain to connect and a photo that shows the wye and ptrap approximate positions. The other photo includes the vent in the wall, the clean out, and the overall layout where the tub and shower were (capped fixtures now).

I have also considered running my new drain arm into the old shower drain arm but that would require a lot more concrete destruction. Not my first choice.

I thank you all for any advise on my ideas?

AF81EC66-5CC9-4C90-8D01-3D65F797FA57.jpeg
CA918F11-6579-44F4-AB34-2D0031220A09.jpeg
FE4E15EF-3F0F-44A6-9C7B-28352E86C684.jpeg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble reconciling your pictures and diagram with the UPC, which I understand Hawaii uses. There shouldn't be a dry vent below the slab. And if the washing machine drain shown is below the slab, the only way that a vent for it would be taken off there is if the trap is below the slab, but the trap is supposed to be above the slab. And the washing machine should not discharge upstream of the shower and bathtub: the arrangement shown relies on wet venting those fixtures, and a washing machine would have to come in downstream of the wet vent.

So before I try to further decipher your drawing and pictures, I just wanted to ask if you're sure about the diagram. In that last photo, neither of those two diagonal 2" lines serves a lavatory?

Cheers, Wayne

vinrin2

Reaction score
I'm having a little trouble reconciling your pictures and diagram with the UPC, which I understand Hawaii uses. There shouldn't be a dry vent below the slab. And if the washing machine drain shown is below the slab, the only way that a vent for it would be taken off there is if the trap is below the slab, but the trap is supposed to be above the slab. And the washing machine should not discharge upstream of the shower and bathtub: the arrangement shown relies on wet venting those fixtures, and a washing machine would have to come in downstream of the wet vent.

So before I try to further decipher your drawing and pictures, I just wanted to ask if you're sure about the diagram. In that last photo, neither of those two diagonal 2" lines serves a lavatory?

Cheers, Wayne

Thx Wayne, for the reply.

The washing machine is trapped and vented in the garage. A lav with trap dumps into the 2” washing machine drain. Together they empty into the main drain as shown in my diagram.
The horizontal vent (1.5”) is dry inside and no water sources drain into it. I know because i accidentally put a hole in it (the picture has it taped up). Plus i can see how it connects to the vertical vent that is confirmed going out the roof of the house.
The horizontal vent goes over the top of the 3” main and then wraps down and connects to the main hotizontally @ 0* (which i feel like should be rolled 45* or better). I bought this house as a new construction 2017 and it is upsetting that pro’s may have installed incorrectly.
Now, the old shower and old tub connections are sealed off, so the washer no longer discharges upstream of them. I want to install the new shower drain upstream of the washing machine discharge.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Something like the drawing below would be more typical and would be UPC compliant.

Of note: the washing machine is kept separate from the bathroom group and comes in downstream of the lav, shower and WC. The lav wet vents the shower and WC. The shower trap arm from the trap to the wye where it joins the lav is limited to 5' and a total fall of 2". The WC fixture drain from the closet flange to the wye where it joins the lav and shower is limited to 6' with no limit on fall.

Cheers, Wayne

AF81EC66-5CC9-4C90-8D01-3D65F797FA57.jpeg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks