would you use PEX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anything but PEX. I trust it far more than copper for a number of reasons. Having plumbed hundreds of houses with copper, I can say that I know what I'm talking about. I also get to repair the stuff.

Currently, I'm variously using XP and Kubuntu Linux. In fact, I just replaced my Linux machine because it was ancient and the hard drive died. I got the cheapest eMachine I could find locally and will replace the power supply in a month or two before this one has a chance to die. (Have seen many of them die.) The hard drive I had Linux on for a few years was probably ten years old, so its demise wasn't unusual. :)

But I also have computers around that run: DR DOS, MS-DOS, Win 95, WinME, Win 98. Mostly, they aren't good for much anymore. The 95 machine is great for playing the original Tomb Raider with its Voodoo II card and game patch.

Tyler T

waiter, remodeler
Reaction score
whats not to love?

Attachments

• DSC05879.jpg
    DSC05879.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 494

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I still think pex does not look that hot. It takes the skill away from our job's. When someone look's at that they are gonna think, I can do that.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I still think pex does not look that hot. It takes the skill away from our job's. When someone look's at that they are gonna think, I can do that.

I'm sure that was said when copper came out.
I know that was said when pvc came out.
It will be said when the next new plumbing item comes out.

I keep seeing cpvc being run as a 1' leg around the basements. Then the branches are pex. It looks nice, but I am not a fan of cpvc.
If pex is set up right it can look nice. It is upto the pro to make it look good.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree it's up to the pro. I would still like to see more pics of pex install's. I seen the one pic. I still think it does not look that great. Someone please send more pics, prove me wrong.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
After the wallboard is up, who's to care? Time is money...the stuff works, lasts a long time (been in use in Europe far longer than here with good results). If the appearance really bothers you, finish the celings and walls!

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
After the wallboard is up, who's to care? Time is money...the stuff works, lasts a long time (been in use in Europe far longer than here with good results). If the appearance really bothers you, finish the celings and walls!

I guess that's why I get paid what I do, because I can get the job done in a timely manner and make it look. If you have no pride in your job why do it. To be proud of those pics and say who care's the walls will cover it up is a disgrace to the trade. CPVC is a far superior alt over pex in a new install situation and you can get it done just as fast and it look's good.

USAflag.gif
Union Made

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would much rather use PEX in a home over CPVC.
But I respect your right to use the stuff.

I just would be concerned what the home owner would think. They are still being charged a premeium price for the job and I wonder by using all pex on new construction how they would react. Flowguard makes a good quality cpvc and look's much better vs pex.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'll take lower friction and fewer fittings any day over looking fantastic. Much less prone to damage if it freezes, too.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Freeze ups in a CPVC plumbed house can look mighty ugly...
I repiped one last winter..
I couldn't tell you how many splits there were....
I didn't have enough fingers and toes...
Actually we stopped looking and just started replacing everything...

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Freeze ups in a CPVC plumbed house can look mighty ugly...
I repiped one last winter..
I couldn't tell you how many splits there were....
I didn't have enough fingers and toes...
Actually we stopped looking and just started replacing everything...

Why would freezing in a house be an issue. Was the house left for the winter and the water left on with no heat? Please explain?

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll take lower friction and fewer fittings any day over looking fantastic. Much less prone to damage if it freezes, too.

Pex. is more suitable for remodels where you would have to get a water line say to a second floor bath or in a case where I repiped bathtub hot supply lines on a 24 story high rise, not for new constuction or repiping a house. I'll take quality and professionalism over not wanting to put a few fitting's in.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In the Seattle area, where it is fairly warm in the Winter, we have our share of frozen pipes, and the damage they cause.
I love the idea of PEX going to the garage faucet.
I get a little tired of replacing split copper every Spring in some of these homes.
Just kidding. It's good work for me. Keep calling for pipe replacement.

Seaneys

Reaction score
Use Wirsbo!

I actually put in a PEX system from a big box vendor and ripped it out after I saw my first installation using WIRSBO/ Uponor. I would definitely use WIRSBO. I left in a non-WIRSBO manifold since I had already bought it. It is cheap, but I can rip it out later if needed. You can buy everything you need through a few sites online.

The WIRSBO expansion system takes a few tries to get used to, but you'll get the hang of it. I personally dread doing 1" expansion connection, but 1/2" and 3/4" are not bad.

BTW - I may be wrong, but I do not think if you will really save much using PEX. A PEX home run system requires a lot of bends and wholes.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks